[comp.sys.mac] MS Word books

jnp@calmasd.UUCP (11/19/87)

Does anyone know of a Microsoft Word book/tutorial other than the standard
docs? (Like the 3rd party Excel books, etc.)

Thx,

--
These opinions are solely mine and in no way reflect those of my employer.
John M. Pantone @ GE/Calma R&D, Data Management Group, San Diego

esf00@amdahl.UUCP (11/21/87)

In article <2529@calmasd.GE.COM> jnp@calmasd.GE.COM (John Pantone) writes:

>Does anyone know of a Microsoft Word book/tutorial other than the standard
>docs? (Like the 3rd party Excel books, etc.)

I bought a copy of "Microsoft Word 3.0 (for the Macintosh) Made Easy".

It's a decent introduction to MS Word 3.0.  I've ended up with a new
editor every eighteen or so months for the last bunch of years, and I've
developed my own methods for clubbing the beasts into submission.  The
book taught me a lot of stuff that I didn't discover in getting Word to
work for me.  It also taught me a bunch of stuff that I didn't remember
finding when I read the MS tome that comes with Word. It's reasonably well
written, even if it does (more than occasionally) refer to figures that
occur on later pages.

One caveat: the title lies. Some stuff is covered in excrutiating detail
at a pace that's slow for anyone except a yuppie who's trying to
figure out the difference between his Mac and his Cuisinart (but that's ok
if you never met up with it before, either), and some stuff is
covered in CS8086x style ("...intuitively obvious...").

I'd still like a real reference manual for MS Word.  (But then I want
some real reference manuals for UNIX :-)).
--
Elliott Frank      ...!{hplabs,ames,sun}!amdahl!esf00     (408) 746-6384
               or ....!{bnrmtv,drivax,hoptoad}!amdahl!esf00

[the above opinions are strictly mine, if anyone's.]
[the above signature may or may not be repeated, depending upon some
inscrutable property of the mailer-of-the-week.]

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (11/21/87)

>Does anyone know of a Microsoft Word book/tutorial other than the standard
>docs? (Like the 3rd party Excel books, etc.)

There are two books for Microsoft word that I know about. The first is
"Microsoft Word Made Easy" and is published by Microsoft Press. It's a
decent introduction/tutorial, but doesn't go into any advanced topics or
beyond beginners. It's okay, but anyone with any background in word will
outstrip it rapidly. Still an improvement over those things Microsoft ships
with the software, though (I refuse to call them manuals)

The other is a new one, and is called "The definitive guide to word 3.0"
and is published by the cobb group. About 700 pages, starts at the
beginner/tutorial level and tries to cover as much stuff as it can. Pretty
accurate, pretty complete (although not definititive -- no postscript
coverage, minimal math formula coverage, and a few other areas that need
expansion) but really a good book overall. [****-] on the OtherRealms
scale, and is one of the books that gets the very scarce shelf space on the
desk my computer lives on (most books are in the bookcase nearby, unless I
use it quite often - this should tell you how often I refer to it).

chuq
---
Chuq "Fixed in 4.0" Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM	Delphi: CHUQ