[comp.sys.mac] DataFrame 60/40

pgn@usceast.UUCP (Paul Nevai) (11/10/87)

I ordered my DataFrame 60/40 in July. I haven't got it yet.
Has anyone on the Net got one yet?
How much did you pay for it?

Paul Nevai                                N410106@univscvm.BITNET (PREFERRED)
Carolina Research Professor               ...\!usceast\!pgn.UUCP
Department of Mathematics                 pgn@cs.scarolina.edu.CSNET
University of South Carolina              73057,172.Compu$erve
Columbia, S.C. 29208                      1-(803)-777-3776.office
U.S.A.                                    1-(803)-777-4226.secy

isle@dartvax.UUCP (Ken Hancock) (11/11/87)

In article <2456@usceast.UUCP> pgn@usceast.uucp.UUCP (Paul Nevai) writes:

>I ordered my DataFrame 60/40 in July. I haven't got it yet.
>Has anyone on the Net got one yet?
>How much did you pay for it?

Both the DataFrame 60XP and 40XP are held up waiting for FCC approval.
Don't know when they expect to ship.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock      UUCP: isle@dartvax
               BITNET: isle@u2.dartmouth.edu

DISCLAIMER: If people weren't so sue-happy, I wouldn't need one!

osmigo@ut-ngp.UUCP (Ron Morgan) (11/13/87)

[Paul Nevai wants to know about the delay in DataFrame shipments]

I recently made a deposit on a Dataframe 30XP at the Univ. of Texas
Microcenter, part of the Apple Consortium. Price was $835. I told them I
had heard "conflicting stories" about when they would be delivered, and
they said that's what they'd heard, too. What I was then told was that
Dataframe is having difficulty in obtaining FCC approval for the units, and
that this situation could delay shipment "indefinitely," although they
expect them in by the end of the month.

I'm sure a lot of netters in the market for Dataframes would like to hear
ANY reliable specifics on the Dataframe-FCC situation.

BTW, since this is my first HD, I'd appreciate any information, comments,
or experiences anyone else has had with Dataframes.

Ron Morgan

--
UUCP: {ihnp4,allegra,ut-sally}!ut-ngp!osmigo
      osmigo@ut-ngp.UUCP

myers@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jeff Myers) (11/14/87)

I just got my Dataframe 60XP last week.  Works like a charm.  Unfortunately,
it does not as yet function with the SCSI port installed as part of the
SuperMac Enhance 2Meg upgrade I got a few months ago.  I sure hope it was
just a slipup of the repair guy...  Has anybody out their successfully
interfaced one of SuperMac's SCSI upgrades with any of their XPs?

I'll keep the net posted...
jeff m

osmigo@ut-ngp.UUCP (Ron Morgan) (11/15/87)

In article <1994@uwmacc.UUCP> myers@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jeff Myers) writes:
>I just got my Dataframe 60XP last week.  Works like a charm.

What? Are they shipping again, finally? A mail-order firm told me just this
morning that they hadn't made any shipments for about 4 months now. In fact,
I've pretty well decided to cancel my deposit on a Dataframe and look for
another brand.

Ron Morgan

"Who are you?"

"We're computerists."

"AAUUUUGGHHH!!!"

--

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (11/15/87)

In article <6848@ut-ngp.UUCP> osmigo@ngp.UUCP (Ron Morgan) writes:
>In article <1994@uwmacc.UUCP> myers@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jeff Myers) writes:
>>I just got my Dataframe 60XP last week.  Works like a charm.
>
>What? Are they shipping again, finally? A mail-order firm told me just this
>morning that they hadn't made any shipments for about 4 months now. In fact,
>I've pretty well decided to cancel my deposit on a Dataframe and look for
>another brand.

I don't see what the bug fuss is all about.  The local SuperMac dealer has
had Dataframe 30XPs and 60XPs for months!  Quite a few of them too!  Is
there really a shortage everywhere else?

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|ihnp4|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow    |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-607-253-6699,  USPS: 7122 N. Campus 7, Ithaca, NY 14853      |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (11/16/87)

In article <2922@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> I wrote:

>I don't see what the bug fuss is all about.  The local SuperMac dealer has
>had Dataframe 30XPs and 60XPs for months!  Quite a few of them too!  Is
>there really a shortage everywhere else?

I guess I was a bit premature in posting this article.  Apparently the local
SuperMac dealer did have problems getting XP drives.  Sorry for the
incorrect information.

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|ihnp4|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow    |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-607-253-6699,  USPS: 7122 N. Campus 7, Ithaca, NY 14853      |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

dantz@cdp.UUCP (11/17/87)

DataFrames XP30s and XP60s are now shipping.  They have FCC approval of
the less stringent flavor, I understand, and comply with and are in the
process of getting the more rigorous approval.  There is quite a backlog
of existing orders that will not be cleared for some weeks.

Larry Zulch, Dantz Software Development

Note: our backup program is bundled with DataFrames.

skeller@wheaton.UUCP (11/17/87)

In article <1994@uwmacc.UUCP> myers@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jeff Myers) writes:
>I just got my Dataframe 60XP last week.  Works like a charm.  Unfortunately,
>it does not as yet function with the SCSI port installed as part of the
>SuperMac Enhance 2Meg upgrade I got a few months ago.  I sure hope it was
>just a slipup of the repair guy...  Has anybody out their successfully
>interfaced one of SuperMac's SCSI upgrades with any of their XPs?
>
>I'll keep the net posted...
>jeff m

I have had my DataFrame XP60 for 3 months.  My dealer substituted it for a
delayed XP40 I had ordered.  I also had SuperMac's 2meg upgrade installed
in my Mac+ and I have had no problems at all.
I was quite suprised to hear that the XP60 still hadn't been released.  I
wondered why I hadn't seen any around.  This drive is very fast and comes
with excellent software: DiskFit, SuperLaserSpooler, SuperSpooler, and a
decent disk manager.  Anyway, this is my first posting--so please excuse
any errors I might make.
					Steve Keller
					Wheaton College, Ill.

to hear that the XP60's hadn't been released--I kept looking for reviews and
such but. . . .  My drive actually has about 67megs on it.

myers@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jeff Myers) (11/21/87)

The problem was an intermittent with my XP60...  Now really flies with
the Dataport installed as part of the Enhance upgrade.  What fooled me
(and the repair folks) was that it worked on the Mac+ that I tried, but
not on the Enhanced 512KE.

Specifically, the interior flat cable from the SCSI to the "innards" was
slightly bent (someone stepped on it, no doubt).  The repair guy at
American of Madison sure seemed proud of himself to have found the problem!
As well he should... he had begun to blame the RLL control board, which
is reported as having problems on many units.

Anyway, I love the XP60 except for the noise of the fan.  Here I am, after
annoying the net with complaints about the scream of the SE fan, getting
a hard disk that is close to as bad.  I'm getting a 6' extension cable
and placing it on the floor, which should help a bit.

The hard disk comes initialized with DataFrame utility programs, namely
SuperLaserSpool, SuperSpool, DiskFit, Sentinel (encryption), and the
DF Manager program.  DiskFit is easy to use, fast, and flexible enough
for most people.  Sentinel is a welcome addition for protecting credit
info and RedRyder procedure text, and has a remarkably speedy DES.

Thanks to all who expressed encouragement! jeff m