[comp.sys.mac] Curiouser and curiouser...

elwell@tut.UUCP (11/17/87)

Does anyone have a good explanation of why the resource manager in the
128K ROMs contains support for Suitcase (or perhaps its predecessor DA
Mob)?  To be specific, why InitResources looks in the system folder
for a file of type 'INIT' and creator 'dMob', and executes the INIT
128 resource out of it?  The OpenDeskAcc call also does some things
having to do with this.

I can see how having support built into the ROMs makes life easier,
but is it really appropriate?  I can understand putting things like
Object Pascal method dispatches etc. into the ROMs, but stuff for a
non-Apple product?

Please note that I have nothing against the Mac ROMs :-), or in fact
Suitcase (which is a bargain at twice the price).  In fact, it
increases my confidence in the stability of Suitcase.  But stil...

--
Clayton M. Elwell

    UUCP: ...!cbosgd!cis.ohio-state.edu!elwell
    ARPA: elwell@ohio-state.arpa (if you feel lucky...)

tecot@apple.UUCP (Ed Tecot) (11/23/87)

In article <1825@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> elwell@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Clayton Elwell) writes:
>Does anyone have a good explanation of why the resource manager in the
>128K ROMs contains support for Suitcase (or perhaps its predecessor DA
>Mob)?  To be specific, why InitResources looks in the system folder
>for a file of type 'INIT' and creator 'dMob', and executes the INIT
>128 resource out of it?  The OpenDeskAcc call also does some things
>having to do with this.

There is nothing in the ROM which does what you describe.  I don't know
what you came across, but I do have a good guess:

Suitcase probably patches InitResources and OpenDeskAcc (and maybe even
AddResMenu) in order to do its job.  What you are seeing is not ROM code,
but the patches installed by Suitcase.  To make sure, check the address of
the code; the ROM on the Mac+ starts at 400000 hexadecimal; if the code
you see is at a lower address, it's RAM.

						_emt