[comp.sys.mac] Joysticks for ADB

han@apple.UUCP (Byron Han) (11/17/87)

I just bought a copy of Falcon.  It is amazing.  Productivity is hitting
a new low for me...  Question though:  does anyone know of joysticks
for the Macintosh, specifically for Mac SE/Mac II (i.e. ADB connector)?

Please respond via e-mail and I will summarize to the net.

/*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
/*  NOTE: I am _NOT_ an Apple representative.  All statements and opinions  */
/* are my own and are _not_ to be construed as any official Apple position. */
/* Byron B. Han                 UUCP: {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!han */
/* Apple Computer, Inc.        CSNET: han@apple.csnet                       */
/* 20525 Mariani Ave MS 27Y    GENIE: BYRONHAN         CSERVE: 72167,1664   */
/* Cupertino, CA 95014        ATTNet: 408-973-6450  APPLELINK: HAN1         */
/*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

sbb@esquire.UUCP (11/17/87)

In article <6753@apple.UUCP> han@apple.UUCP (Byron Han) writes:
>I just bought a copy of Falcon.  It is amazing.  Productivity is hitting
>a new low for me...  Question though:  does anyone know of joysticks
>for the Macintosh, specifically for Mac SE/Mac II (i.e. ADB connector)?
>
>Please respond via e-mail and I will summarize to the net.

Could you also describe what Falcon is like?  I was thinking of getting it
(not satisfied with Flight Simulator), but the ads are less than helpful.
Thanks.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

daladd@snail.UUCP (11/20/87)

	How about ADB joysticks from the //GS world?  Is there such a
thing?

---
dave ladd	daladd@s.cs.uiuc.edu

andrew@ems.Ems.MN.ORG (Andrew C.Esh) (11/23/87)

	HOT! HOT! HOT!  I have bought and played almost every flight simulator
available for the Mac and th IBM-PC.  The only on that comes close for combat
realism is Jet, and it comes about as close as the orig. version of MacWrite
does to Microsoft Word 3.0. The only one that comes close for graphic and
instrument realism is Microsoft Flight Simulator for the Mac.
	You start as a Rookie, and I suggest you stay at the 1st. Lt.
rank they start you at.  As you complete missions and gain
experience, you get points and medals.  You can change your rank any time,
which is synonymous with a skill level change.  You have a number of missions
involving air and ground attacks to choose from.  Weapons include Air-to-Air
missiles, Air-to-Surface missiles, Mk 84 laser guided bombs, a Durandal runway
denial bomb (you have to re-decorate an enemy airport in one mission), and
the usual 20mm cannon, and extras like an option ECM pod, ditchable fuel tanks,
chaff, flares.  You have to choose the loading of the plane depending on the
mission.
	The main kicker when you get into the cockpit is the sound.  You start
the JFS (Jet Fuel System) and it winds up just like a F-100 would.  Push the
throttle up to 100% and let the wheel brakes go, you're down the runway and up
to 10,000 in no time.  Watch the threat display for enemy radar.  If you're up
as a Colonel, the MIGs may jump you without turning on their radar, so you have
to watch your tail too.  If you loaded enough fuel and some AGM-65's you can
sneak into enemy territory and shoot up enemy SAM sites.  If you have some
Mk 84's you could try your hand at some pop-up bombing on those bridges up
north.  Splash a MIG or two on the way out, then fire up the ILS system for
an instrument landing back home.
	Sound simple?  I'm a licensed pilot, I've had this thing for a week,
and I still get downed regularly by dumb things like trying to nurse by bird
home with the avionics out, hoping the JFS problem doesn't develop into an
engine fire, only to have the NWS (Nose Wheel Steering) System go out and I
belly in and get court-martialed for wrecking the plane, if I'm quick enough
to have ejected.  Otherwise, Blippo, the big Cackeroo.
	One problem.  My MacII with the 256 colors (I love it :-) is so new
that Falcon steps on a color control somewhere.  I think they will have this
fixed soon though.  It looks like a simple bug.

						- Andrew

DISCLAIMER: (A Real one this time ...)  I am in no way associated with Spectrum
Holobyte, or any software dealer.

Andrew C. Esh        DOMAIN: andrew@ems.MN.ORG
EMS/McGraw-Hill      UUCP: ihnp4!meccts!ems!andrew      AT&T: (612) 829-8200