[comp.sys.mac] BITNET and Apple Liscensing

UD069225@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Eric H. Romo) (11/19/87)

Why hasn't or why doesn't BITNET get an Apple liscense to distribute the new
System, Finder, and related files? This only seems reasonable for such a large
network of users, in my mind at least.

Thanks,
-------
ERIC H. ROMO
<UD069225@NDSUVM1.BITNET>
CHEMISTRY DEPT. UNIV. OF NORTH DAKOTA
GRAND FORKS, N.D.

jordan@apple.UUCP (Jordan Mattson) (11/23/87)

Dear Eric -

	I am in fact looking into the possibility of doing this.  There is one
small catch:  the folks in charge of deciding if you have a valid copyright or
not have some fairly strict requlations on how you must keep track of the
people who have a copy of your software.
	If we can find a way to comply with this requlations on the looser
networks (BITNET, Usenet, ARPAnet), then we will make it happen.
--

Jordan Mattson				UUCP:   ucbvax!mtxinu!apple!jordan
Apple Computer, Inc.			CSNET: 	jordan@apple.CSNET

FUCHS@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Ira Fuchs) (11/24/87)

In article <450UD069225@NDSUVM1>, UD069225@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Eric H. Romo) writes:

>Why hasn't or why doesn't BITNET get an Apple liscense to distribute the new
>System, Finder, and related files? This only seems reasonable for such a large
>network of users, in my mind at least.

I have spoken with Apple about licensing this software for distribution through
MACserve and the main problem with doing it is that Apple requires an auditable
list of all users who receive a copy (has to do with their copyright). This
may not be feasible given the way MACSERVE operates, however discussion
continues.

Ira Fuchs
President, BITNET Inc.