[comp.sys.mac] Mail-order question/recommendat

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (11/13/87)

DO NOT order from PROGRAMS PLUS.  They are complete idiots!  They set
a little record with me: 4 mistakes in my order!  How could you
possibly screw up more?

1.  The salesgirl had trouble spelling "Illinois".  This should have
been the tipoff to what was to come.  Anyway, after placing an order
for Prometheus modem, Mac II cable, my mom got a phone call to confirm
the order.  Luckily, she corrected the mailing address which was
written down incorrectly by the salesgirl.

2.  I waited 10 days.  Finally a piece of mail came saying they
couldn't use my credit card because the number was wrong.  She wrote
down the wrong credit card number too!  I called to correct it.
The lady was apologetic and said the order would ship that day!

3.  3 hours later: phone call: "I'm sorry sir, we must cancel your
order because VISA is rejecting your new credit card *click*".  I call
VISA.  There is enough credit line on the card.  I call PROGRAMS PLUS
and practically scream at the lady, who says VISA just rejected it
right in front of her.

4.  My mom calls with new credit card.  "Oh, we just got your son's card
to work, and it will ship *today*".  The next day the modem arrives
Fed-Express.  I am delighted.  I open the carton.  I get a modem and a
MAC512K CABLE! IDIOTS! I KNEW THEY'D SCREW UP ANOTHER TIME! EVERYONE
IN MY TOWN IS SOLD OUT OF MAC II CABLES, WHY DO YOU THINK I MAIL
ORDERED ANYWAY!!!!!

5.  I twisted a salesman's arm to buy a reserved cable locally.  I'm
sending PROGRAM PLUS's cable back.  I don't trust them to even fix the order
correctly.  In fact, they'll probably charge me a second time for
returning the cable!  They're total idiots!

Don Gillies {ihnp4!uiucdcs!gillies} U of Illinois
            {gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu}

nazgul@apollo.UUCP (11/20/87)

In article <76000041@uiucdcsp> gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> DO NOT order from PROGRAMS PLUS.  They are complete idiots!  They set
> a little record with me: 4 mistakes in my order!  How could you
> possibly screw up more?

Hmmm.  I had trouble with an order with them as well, but thought it was
a fluke.  The person taking the order was clearly working off a script
and when I said I wanted to order two things got all confused, so we started
with one and when we were done he asked me (i.e. he read slowly to me) if
I wanted to order anything else.  There were other strange things about the
conversation.  I had ordered something or other and a system saver for my
Apple ][e.  When it arrived I found they had sent me one for a Mac.  Sigh.
COD return is wonderful, although I was attempted to add a charge onto the
standard cost of postage.
                                                -nazgul
--
### {mit-erl,yale,uw-beaver}!apollo!nazgul  ### apollo!nazgul@eddie.mit.edu ###
### pro-angmar!nazgul@pro-sol.cts.com       ### nazgul@apollo.com           ###

kff@kesmai.UUCP (11/25/87)

In article <76000041@uiucdcsp> gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> Hmmm.  I had trouble with an order with them as well, but thought it was
> a fluke.  The person taking the order was clearly working off a script
> and when I said I wanted to order two things got all confused, so we started

     I had a very similiar experience on the phone, it was easily
the most grueling experience I have ever had making a order by phone.
However, the product I ordered, an Impulse sound digitizer, came in three
days as ordered. The proof is in the pudding I guess...
     Kelton