[comp.sys.mac] My MacUser gripe

khayo@sonia.cs.ucla.edu (Erazm J. Behr) (11/22/87)

In article <34557@sun.uucp> chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>Was anyone else disgusted by Steve Bobker's editorial in the latest MacUser?
(numerous justified complaints deleted)

I also was a subscriber & quit for similar reasons. Now I glance at
it occasionally, and I noticed the following: a while ago (1/2 year ?)
they reviewed Turbo Pascal - I have it, so I read the review with some
interest. They even gave it 4.5 stars out of 5, not bad. Since then I've
been looking at the "capsule" reaviews in the back ("minifinders" they
call it ?) & Turbo hasn't shown up to this day! A question: does anyone
know what the story is? Is MacUser out to get Borland? Is it plain
incompetence? Has Borland requested this for some bizarre reason? I'm
puzzled.                                 Eric (correct address below)

omh@nancy (Owen M. Hartnett) (11/26/87)

In article <9361@shemp.UCLA.EDU> khayo@MATH.UCLA.EDU (Erazm J. Behr) writes:
>In article <34557@sun.uucp> chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>Was anyone else disgusted by Steve Bobker's editorial in the latest MacUser?
>(numerous justified complaints deleted)
>
>I also was a subscriber & quit for similar reasons. Now I glance at
>it occasionally, and I noticed the following: a while ago (1/2 year ?)
>they reviewed Turbo Pascal - I have it, so I read the review with some
>interest. They even gave it 4.5 stars out of 5, not bad. Since then I've
>been looking at the "capsule" reaviews in the back ("minifinders" they
>call it ?) & Turbo hasn't shown up to this day! A question: does anyone
>know what the story is? Is MacUser out to get Borland? Is it plain
>incompetence? Has Borland requested this for some bizarre reason? I'm
>puzzled.                                 Eric (correct address below)

They've done the same thing to me.  Although my product didn't get reviewed
by itself, but instead in an article with other educational software, I was
among the highest rated programs.  Of course, they didn't put my product
(Kieran) in the minifinder.  However, the next issue they bemoaned (in two
articles) the alleged dearth of quality educational software.  I sincerely
believe that they looked at the minifinder and counted the number of
programs that they saw there.

In addition, they also "lost" an article I sent to them.

Owen Hartnett
Brown University Computer Science

omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
omh%cs.brown.edu@relay.cs.net-relay.ARPA