[comp.sys.mac] Mac applications under A/UX

gz@mit-eddie.UUCP (11/17/87)

Can applications running under the A/UX Mac emulation handle CHK and
TRAPV/TRAPcc exceptions?  I realize that I might need some
A/UX-specific code to install my handlers rather than just messing
around with low memory vectors, and that the handler calling
convention might be different.  I'm willing to deal with things like
that (assuming I can detect when I'm running under A/UX!), I just need
to know whether it will be possible at all or do I have to give up on
CHK et. al. altogether.

			Thanks,
			  Gail
-----
...!mit-eddie!spt!gz		spt!gz@eddie.mit.edu
Claimer: My employer fully agrees with every word I say.
-----

rpd@apple.UUCP (Rick Daley) (11/26/87)

In article <7424@eddie.MIT.EDU>, gz@eddie.MIT.EDU (Gail Zacharias) writes:
> Can applications running under the A/UX Mac emulation handle CHK and
> TRAPV/TRAPcc exceptions?

    In the first release of the A/UX Toolbox, there is no special provision
for handling exceptions.  However, there are two ways to run mac applications
from A/UX.  One way is to use the "launch" program to run a mac binary.
The other way is to recompile the application under A/UX and execute it as
a UNIX binary.  In the latter case, you can use the normal UNIX mechanisms
for dealing with exceptions.  However, to use this method, the application
really has to be written in C.
    Altering the exception vectors in low memory will have no effect under
the A/UX Toolbox.  If we find that it is common for developers to want to
do this, we could add support for exception vectors to the second release
of the A/UX Toolbox.

					Rick Daley
					rpd@apple.UUCP

    By the way, I should add my usual warning that you shouldn't expect
off-the-shelf mac applications to run under A/UX.  It is usually a fairly
simple job for a developer to make an application A/UX-friendly, but most
existing applications will faihad

raylau@dasys1.UUCP (Raymond Lau) (11/29/87)

In article <6841@apple.UUCP>, rpd@apple.UUCP (Rick Daley) writes:
> 					Rick Daley
> 					rpd@apple.UUCP
>     By the way, I should add my usual warning that you shouldn't expect
> off-the-shelf mac applications to run under A/UX.  It is usually a fairly
> simple job for a developer to make an application A/UX-friendly, but most
> existing applications will fail.

A simple, if not stupid question....

When will we get guidelines for a/ux compatibility?

And will such be mailed out to us?

--
Raymond Lau                      {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix           {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!raylau

GEnie:RayLau       Delphi:RaymondLau     CIS:76174,2617
"Take it and StuffIt."