[comp.sys.mac] Mac ][ Sound Samplers

jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (11/20/87)

Does anyone know if the Impulse (?) sound sampler works on the Mac II, and
if so, can you generate stereo samples?  What about the BMUG sampler?

Where can I get each, and what are the relative merits?

Jeff Sullivan				University of Pittsburgh
pitt!cisunx!jasst3			Intelligent Systems Studies Program
jasper@PittVMS (BITNET)			Graduate Student
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

kff@kesmai.UUCP (11/25/87)

In article <5533@cisunx.UUCP>, jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (Jeffrey A. Sullivan) writes:
> Does anyone know if the Impulse (?) sound sampler works on the Mac II, and
> if so, can you generate stereo samples?  What about the BMUG sampler?

   I bought the Impulse sampler about a month ago. It comes with 2
versions of the software, one labeled as for the Mac II. Although I
haven't done any recording on the Mac II, the software does run on the
II and edits and plays sounds fine. I assume it records properly also.
Needless to say the normal version records and plays fine on the Mac
Plus. I was quite impressed with the whole package; the software is
great and the hardware seems quite effective for the price. It has a
line level input as well as a microphone. It also comes with TML Pascal
source code to useful routines, which took a short time to translate to
C.
   I don't think it does stereo, at least not out of the box, but I imagine
you could cook up software to play two 'snd ' resources simultaneously
through different channels without too much work.
   Kelton

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (12/01/87)

In article <149@kesmai.COM> kff@kesmai.COM (Kelton Flinn) writes:
>   I bought the Impulse sampler about a month ago. It comes with 2
>versions of the software, one labeled as for the Mac II. Although I
>haven't done any recording on the Mac II, the software does run on the
>II and edits and plays sounds fine. I assume it records properly also.

I just got Impulse and haven't had much time to really play with it, but
it does record and play correctly on a Mac II.  The only problem is that
the "Scope" function doesn't work right in more than 1 bit color or gray-scale
mode (the trace is scrunched up to the top of the display).

Edward Moy
Academic Computing Services
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720