[comp.sys.mac] Spinning Watch Cursor

jdm@ut-ngp.UUCP (11/25/87)

	This is probably a stupid question, but then if such questions
were never asked, then....
	How do you get the watch cursor to spin? I assumed you'd just
need to call SystemTask() and it would be taken care of... I don't have
IM Vol 4 yet (no flames please), and the answer's probably in there, isn't it!
Well, any answer will be appreciated.
						Jim Meiss
						jdm@ngp.utexas.edu

sho@tybalt.caltech.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) (11/26/87)

In article <6920@ut-ngp.UUCP> jdm@ut-ngp.UUCP (Jim Meiss) writes:

>	This is probably a stupid question, but then if such questions
>were never asked, then....
>	How do you get the watch cursor to spin? I assumed you'd just
>need to call SystemTask() and it would be taken care of... I don't have
>IM Vol 4 yet (no flames please), and the answer's probably in there, isn't it!
>Well, any answer will be appreciated.

	If you look at the resource fork of the Finder, you will find
multiple watch cursors with different positions of the hands.  I guess the
Finder just loads them in itself.  I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult
to steal the cursors from the Finder and do it in your own application.

							-Sho

olson@endor.harvard.edu (Eric K. Olson) (12/01/87)

In a recent article Sho Kuwamoto writes:
>In article <6920@ut-ngp.UUCP> jdm@ut-ngp.UUCP (Jim Meiss) writes:
>>	How do you get the watch cursor to spin? I assumed you'd just
>>need to call SystemTask() and it would be taken care of... I don't have
>>IM Vol 4 yet (no flames please), and the answer's probably in there, isn't it!

>	If you look at the resource fork of the Finder, you will find
>multiple watch cursors with different positions of the hands.  I guess the
>Finder just loads them in itself.  I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult
>to steal the cursors from the Finder and do it in your own application.

You will also find a resource type "acur" which specifies the ID #s of the
cursors.  Format is:

word	number of cursors
word	0
word	id
word	0
word	id
word	0

The default acur contains the following:

00080000 01000000
01010000 01020000
01030000 01040000
01050000 01060000
01070000

The lastest ResEdit contains a TMPL for this resource (version 1.1b3).

-Eric

                                 I am not affiliated.
Eric K. Olson     olson@endor.harvard.edu     harvard!endor!olson     D0760
   (Name)                (ArpaNet)                 (UseNet)        (AppleLink)