[comp.sys.mac] X Windows on Mac OS?

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) (12/02/87)

Are there any plans to allow X windows to be run on the Mac OS side of the
Mac II now that the Ethertalk board is shipping? It would be extremely nice to
be able to use the mac as an Xterminal display server. This would allow Apple
to come out with a II with fewer slots and lower cost that could be an X
workstation, without the overhead of Unix. I have heard about the 2 companies
porting news to the Mac, but it was unclear if they were targeting A/UX as the
run time environment and if it was limited to the Mac II platform.

Of course Sun, NeXt, Hp and Dec probably would not like this idea too much.

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (12/03/87)

In article <11540064@hpsmtc1.HP.COM>, dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) writes:
> I have heard about the 2 companies
> porting news to the Mac, but it was unclear if they were targeting A/UX as the
> run time environment and if it was limited to the Mac II platform.

I recently heard of one implementation of NeWS (not news!) on the Mac.
The information that I received was unclear as to whether it ran only
on the Mac II, but it was definately stated to be running under the
"Mac OS" rather than UN*X.

Why should Sun be particularly worried about NeWS running on the Mac
(of any flavor)?  After all, they've licensed NeWS to any number of
outside developers...

	seh

right...that's just me talking...nobody else need claim it...