[comp.sys.mac] Upgrade Interference

caufield@bnl.ARPA (Jim Caufield) (12/01/87)

I currently own a 512K Mac and want to expand it to a Plus.  When I
went down to my friendly neighborhood Apple dealer, he said that my
power supply would have to go as well since the old 128K supply would
"caused interference" with the Plus logic board.  I got the impression
that he was trying to bring the price of the upgrade so close to that
of a new Plus that I would go that route.

Has anyone heard of 1984 power supplies not being compatible with
the Plus upgrade kits?

Thanks in advance!

	<jim

caufield@bnl.ARPA (Jim Caufield) (12/01/87)

Oops!  Sorry, but my mailer killed my .signature from being transmitted
on my first message.  Here it is:

 | Jim Caufield @ Brookhaven National Lab | ARPA:            caufield@bnl.APRA |
 | Building 728  Upton, New York.   11973 | BITNET:        caufield@bnl.BITNET |
 |            (516) 282-5190              | UUCP: ...philabs!sbcs!bnl!caufield |

mw2k+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Asher Weissman) (12/02/87)

From: caufield@bnl.ARPA (Jim Caufield)
>I currently own a 512K Mac and want to expand it to a Plus.  When I
>went down to my friendly neighborhood Apple dealer, he said that my
>power supply would have to go as well since the old 128K supply would
>"caused interference" with the Plus logic board.  I got the impression
>that he was trying to bring the price of the upgrade so close to that
>of a new Plus that I would go that route.

>Has anyone heard of 1984 power supplies not being compatible with
>the Plus upgrade kits?

I have heard many horror stories about the early power supplies (especially
84's).  You did not mention how many times you have replaced yours, but if it
is still the original one (And fantastic luck that would be), I would advise
either getting a new Plus Power supply or trying to sell your mac and getting
an SE.

Although not official from Apple, it will not be to long before they drop the
plus and you would be better off with an SE.  Also remember that being
involved with Macintoshes, your guarenteed to be constantly shelling out
money.  Sighh, the price one pays for advanced technology.

Miles Weissman
MW2K@Andrew.cmu
Carnegie-Mellon University
Major: Comp Eng

A color SE with a 68000??? too slow, use a 68050

dgold@apple.UUCP (David Goldsmith) (12/02/87)

In article <194@bnl.ARPA> caufield@bnl.ARPA (Jim Caufield) writes:
>I currently own a 512K Mac and want to expand it to a Plus.  When I
>went down to my friendly neighborhood Apple dealer, he said that my
>power supply would have to go as well since the old 128K supply would
>"caused interference" with the Plus logic board.  I got the impression
>that he was trying to bring the price of the upgrade so close to that
>of a new Plus that I would go that route.
>
>Has anyone heard of 1984 power supplies not being compatible with
>the Plus upgrade kits?

Your dealer is either lying or doesn't know what he's talking about.
There is no compatibility problem I am aware of.  Of course, like all
power supplies it must be adjusted after an upgrade to insure that the
voltages are correctly set, but that's part of the standard upgrade
procedure.  I, too, have a 128K Mac upgraded to Mac Plus and haven't
even had to replace the power supply at all (of course, when I get home
tonight I'll find a thick cloud of smoke).  I've had it for almost three
years now.
--
David Goldsmith
Apple Computer, Inc.

AppleLink: GOLDSMITH1
UUCP:  {nsc,dual,sun,voder,ucbvax!mtxinu}!apple!dgold
CSNET: dgold@apple.CSNET, dgold%apple@CSNET-RELAY
BIX: dgoldsmith

osmigo@ut-ngp.UUCP (Ron Morgan) (12/03/87)

[user wants to know about 128 power supplies working in Pluses]

I wouldn't try it if I were you. Even the *512* upgrade, if you recall, blew
out power supplies coming and going. Many dealers  warned purchasers of
512 upgrades that they would probably need new power supplies eventually,
and most of the time, they were right. With the Plus, you're talking about
a *1 meg*  memory upgrade, plus a double-sided DD. The implications are
pretty obvious.

Ron Morgan

--
UUCP: {ihnp4,allegra,ut-sally}!ut-ngp!osmigo
      osmigo@ut-ngp.UUCP

dbeck@sri-unix.ARPA (Douglas K. Beck) (12/03/87)

One positive note...  My original 1984 Mac has been upgraded to a 512 and
then to a Plus.  I've added a SuperMac 2 Meg ram upgrade, and the case
is still cool to the touch on top.  If it has lasted this long, the
supply may be a bogey one, that will last a long time.
...doug beck