[comp.sys.mac] IBM PC release date

B5U@PSUVMA.BITNET (George A. Brownfield) (11/30/87)

In article <6500003@hpindda.HP.COM>, atchison@hpindda.HP.COM (Lee Atchison) says:

>If memory serves me correctly, the first Sun was made in 1981 or 1982.
>Definitely not as early as the IBM PC (1978? 1979?, something like that).
>--------
>Lee Atchison
Whoa - someones memory is screwed - IBM (and their loyal fans) were quick to
celebrate it's fifth anniversery earier this year or in late 86 - making the
release in late 81 or early 82 ( I want to say 81 but something is bothering
me on that). I of course alway boasted back that the Apple II was celebrating
its TENTH anniversary in the same year and that usually quieted down the IBM
fans =->
-------
 George A. Brownfield                       B5U @ PSUVMA
 Aerospace Engineering Major                B5U @ PSUVM
 The Pennsylvania State University

 BITNET: B5U @ PSUVM
 UUCP: {akgua,allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!psuvax1!psuvma.bitnet!b5u

 "Women, cats, and golf; man was not ment to understand these things."

jhagen@midas.UUCP (Jarom Hagen) (12/03/87)

In article <26329B5U@PSUVMA>, B5U@PSUVMA.BITNET (George A. Brownfield) writes:
> Whoa - someones memory is screwed - IBM (and their loyal fans) were quick to
> celebrate it's fifth anniversery earier this year or in late 86 - making the
> release in late 81 or early 82 ( I want to say 81 but something is bothering
> me on that). I of course alway boasted back that the Apple II was celebrating
> its TENTH anniversary in the same year and that usually quieted down the IBM
> fans =->

I remember that because I bought my first computer system in December of 1981.
An apple ][+ with a whopping 64K bytes of memory. :-).  The other systems I was
considering were an IBM PC with 64K bytes of memory, (no software because it was
recently released) and a 48K atari 800.   I remember I passed up the IBM system
because it cost about $500 more than the Apple, and I passed up the Atari
because it only had BASIC to work with.  (I wanted Pascal)

I still have and use the Apple ][+, but the keyboard is giving me problems.
(No, I don't do any serious development work on it anymore )

--
Jarom Hagen		UUCP: {calma, novavax, sun, seismo}!gould!jhagen

If anything expressed resembles an actual opinion of Gould, living or dead,
it was purely coincidental.