[comp.sys.mac] Multiple layer presentation slides

wedel@nbires.UUCP (11/18/87)

Does anyone know of a graphics package for the Mac that is capable
of making multiple layer overhead presentation slides?  I need to produce
a slide with a background, then a layer with some information, then
another layer with more information.  This is the kind of thing
you see in books on anatomy where they show the skeleton first,
then the muscles, then the organs (or is it the other way around?).

Any clues on how to do this would be appreciated.  I've talked to my
Apple dealer and looked through MacUser and MacWorld without finding
anything that appears to do the job.
					Wally Wedel
					NBI, Inc.
					(303) 938-2923
					uunet!nbires!wedel

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (11/19/87)

Suggestion on multilayer overhead slides, Don't.

A slide is not 100% transparent, & each layer makes the overall slide a
little darker. This 'dingyness' can  lessen the positive impact that you
are trying to make. Also, it is easy to get the registration slightly
off between layers, esp. if there are more then 2. You also spend time
lining up the slide registrations which also draws attention away from
what you are trying to say.

Here's an alternative:
use your favorite slide producing application ( I get exellent milage
out of the old stand-bys, MacDraw and MacWrite) to draw the first stage
of your slide that you want to present. Save it under another name.
Continue drawing untill you have the next stage that you want to present
(original + next layer), save this under a different name. Continue
untill you have completed everything that you wish this slide to
present. Print/plot each level. You now have the equivilent of a
multiple layer slide without the "dingyness" of layering, or the
fiddling arround of trying to match registration marks.  You get a
smoother presentation with less chance of problems.

Hope this works.

TeriAnn Wakeman
Process tools & Training development
Corporate Product Regulations
Hewlett-Packard
(415)857-5057

darryl@ism780c.UUCP (Darryl Richman) (11/21/87)

You could do this easily with GraphicWorks 1.1.  Make each drawing in
a (set of) easel(s) on a panel, overlaying all of the panels on one
page.  After the drawing is done, cut each panel and move it to its own
page and print.
--
Copyright (C) 1987 Darryl Richman	INTERACTIVE Systems Corporation
    The views expressed above are	...!cca!ima!ism780c!darryl

eric@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Eric Fielding) (12/03/87)

In a recent article wedel@nbires.UUCP (Wally Wedel) wrote:

>Does anyone know of a graphics package for the Mac that is capable
>of making multiple layer overhead presentation slides?  I need to produce
>a slide with a background, then a layer with some information, then
>another layer with more information.
>					Wally Wedel

A friend of mine has a Macprogram called MiniCAD, which has a multiple-layer
graphics capability.  You can control the visibility (and even the color
on a Mac II) of each layer individually.  It is quite expensive, as it has
a lot of other CAD features; I think it's something like $600.  I have not
tried it myself, but he says that it is the best drafting/drawing program he
has ever used.

				++Eric Fielding

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu.UUCP (12/03/87)

In a recent article wedel@nbires.UUCP (Wally Wedel) wrote:

>Does anyone know of a graphics package for the Mac that is capable
>of making multiple layer overhead presentation slides?  I need to produce
>a slide with a background, then a layer with some information, then
>another layer with more information.
>					Wally Wedel

I downloaded a demo copy of "Draw It Again Sam" from CompuServe.  It has
10 drawing layers and 4 drawing modes (Opaque, Clear, Invert and Erase).
It does support color, but only the original 8 Macintosh colors.  It looks
interesting.  (Usual disclaimer about them and me.)

Edward Moy
Academic Computing Services
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720