[comp.sys.mac] 4Dimension ???

bill@upba.UUCP (11/24/87)

	Has anybody had any experience with 4Dimension.  It is a
	database program put out by Apple.  A couple of questions
	for you since I have only worked with the Demonstrator
	model?

	1.  Does this program import data from Excel and Micorsoft
	    File?  How much work goes into this transfer and does
	    the manual show how this is done?  The demonstrator
	    really didn't go into much detail about this step.

	2.  What problems have you experienced that might cause
	    me not to purchase this software.  So far, what I have
	    seen, I am really impressed, but don't want to buy
	    it if I will continue to have problems that are not
	    supported.  I plan on using this with a Racet hard
	    drive and about 4 mac's with dove boards.

	Any suggestions will be appreciated.

	bill wisell
	tech support UPBA

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) (11/25/87)

First of all Apple does not put out 4th Dimension, ACIUS does. 4d is a very
powerful, very complex applications builder/database. Acius also has a demo
version of the program which you can obtain from them for about $20 I believe.
While I have not personally imported information from Excel or File, 4D
should handle it with no real problems.

dwb@apple.UUCP (David W. Berry) (11/26/87)

In article <54300005@upba> bill@upba.UUCP writes:
>	Has anybody had any experience with 4Dimension.  It is a
>	database program put out by Apple.  A couple of questions
>	for you since I have only worked with the Demonstrator
>	model?
	Actually, it's put out by Acius, another company in Cupertino,
currently headed by Guy Kawasaki, who used to an Evangelizer for
Apple.  Note that this is yet another company besides Apple and Claris,
Apple's recent software spinoff.

>	1.  Does this program import data from Excel and Micorsoft
>	    File?  How much work goes into this transfer and does
>	    the manual show how this is done?  The demonstrator
>	    really didn't go into much detail about this step.
>
>	2.  What problems have you experienced that might cause
>	    me not to purchase this software.  So far, what I have
>	    seen, I am really impressed, but don't want to buy
>	    it if I will continue to have problems that are not
>	    supported.  I plan on using this with a Racet hard
>	    drive and about 4 mac's with dove boards.
	It's performance is right up there with boats to china,
for more information check some recent magazine (unfortunately
I don't remember which, probably Nov. MacWorld) which had a review
of another database, which I also don't have the name of (gee
I certainly am helpful today, aren't I?) but whose major schtick
was speed.  Other than that, it seems to be incredibly powerful.

--
	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.uucp                   dwb@Delphi

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (12/03/87)

in article <6839@apple.UUCP>, dwb@apple.UUCP (David W. Berry) says:

> In article <54300005@upba> bill@upba.UUCP writes:
>>	Has anybody had any experience with 4Dimension.  It is a
>>	database program put out by Apple.  A couple of questions
>>	for you since I have only worked with the Demonstrator
>>	model?
> 	Actually, it's put out by Acius, another company in Cupertino,
> currently headed by Guy Kawasaki, who used to an Evangelizer for
> Apple.  Note that this is yet another company besides Apple and Claris,
> Apple's recent software spinoff.
>>
>>	1.  Does this program import data from Excel and Micorsoft
>>	    File?  How much work goes into this transfer and does
>>	    the manual show how this is done?  The demonstrator
>>	    really didn't go into much detail about this step.
>>
>>	2.  What problems have you experienced that might cause
>>	    me not to purchase this software.  So far, what I have
>>	    seen, I am really impressed, but don't want to buy
>>	    it if I will continue to have problems that are not
>>	    supported.  I plan on using this with a Racet hard
>>	    drive and about 4 mac's with dove boards.

There's a review of 4D in the November MacUser (I'm sure of it, since I
wrote it.  Note to Chuq: no flames please ...)

You're right about the program being very powerful.  It can import data
in ASCII, SYLK and DIF format, which means you can easily get data from
either Excel or Microsoft file.  The manual is relatively clear, or at
least as clear as 4D manuals get.  Personally, I like the documentation, but
I'm a programmer ...

The problem with 4D is not just speed (if people think 4D is slow, check out
dBase Mac!).  Because the program in so complex, the learning curve for
productive use is very high.  There is a _lot_ of documentation, and you've
got to wade through most of it to get a good picture of the package.  If
you're not a programmer, you probably won't be happy with 4D (Guy Kawasaki
disagrees, but that's another story).  In other words, to tap the power behind
4D, you've got to write code.

Support is an interesting issue.  Acius is a very small company, and their
support staff, while not quite vapor, is limited.  There are, however, a
number of independent developers working with the package who have a
very visible presence on CompuServe in the MacBiz forum.  They seem very
willing to answer questions.

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
ihnp4!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai

klein@gravity.UUCP (12/04/87)

In article <335@stech.UUCP> sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:
|The manual is relatively clear, or at
|least as clear as 4D manuals get.  Personally, I like the documentation, but
|I'm a programmer ...
|
|Because the program in so complex, the learning curve for
|productive use is very high.  There is a _lot_ of documentation, and you've
|got to wade through most of it to get a good picture of the package.  If
|you're not a programmer, you probably won't be happy with 4D (Guy Kawasaki
|disagrees, but that's another story).  In other words, to tap the power behind
|4D, you've got to write code.

I have a copy of 4th Dimension, and I personally think the manuals are
atrocious.  There are four of them: a "Tutorial," which is nothing of the
sort, a "User's Guide," a "Programmer's Guide," and a "Command Reference."
The only one of the four that has a suitable title is the Command Reference.
The other three look more like somebody gathered the rest of the documentation
on the floor into three binders at random.  I am still trying to figure out
how to do the simplest two-table join, and I'm a programmer, too.  And then
the vocabulary is different from what you'll see in a course on relational
data bases; an attempt, I assume, to make the terms seem more "familiar"
but to me it comes off as just "different," which is always worse than sticking
with the original.  Nowhere in the index do you find the word "join," for
example.  You figure out after a long time that instead you use the word
"link."  And there aren't any "tables" but "files" instead.  And on and on.

Now, it appears that 4th Dimension is powerful, but I have a lot of other
things to do with my time and the documentation is so poor that I haven't
actually gotten to the point where I can put together the simplest data base
and know why it does the things it does.  Until the documentation is better,
I don't consider this a product a non-data base application developer can use.
--
Mike Klein		klein@Sun.COM
Sun Microsystems, Inc.	{ucbvax,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!sun!klein