[comp.sys.mac] Ooold 128k Macs

flynn@boopsie.UUCP (12/05/87)

In article <4270@ecsvax.UUCP> wmcb@ecsvax.UUCP (William C. Bauldry) writes:

>mine is also from the first 90 days. Had a loose internal drive, covered
>by warranty (about the 89th day); since then, only a new battery. I have
>installed a cooling fan though - to keep the power supply happy. This
>gives a total cost of about $13.95 for 4 years - not too excessive.
>-bill

My FIRST Mac arrived in November '84 (128k).  It broke the next day
(no raster).  At MSU, if your Mac breaks within warranty, they send it back
and you wait until a) it returns (hopefully fixed :-)), or b) they send you
a new one.  They sent me a new one in a couple of weeks, and I've been using
it ever since.
In March '85 I decided to upgrade to 512k (wow! 512k!).  To make a long
story short, they wound up replacing both the analog and the digital boards
(by the time they discovered the problem, my analog board had FRIED at least
three uprade motherboards), and I had to live with a 'Test Drive' 128k
Mac for a week while mine was in the shop.  This was at a time when I could
have really used the extra memory, too.  BTW, this repair was also free
(covered as part of the purchase of the new motherboard).
In May 1986, I got a 512KE upgrade (800k floppy, 128k ROMs).  They
had to replace the 800k drive.  Twice.  Also free.
In September 1986, my Mac awoke without a raster.  They put in a new
power supply.  This one cost me $140.

Has this soured me on Apple?  Surprisingly not.  I use my Mac exclusively
for terminal emulation now, and it works fine.  I'd like to get a `dream'
Mac II system (5MB, 140MB drive, A/UX, X, Ethernet, etc.) someday.
Drool, drool.
Pat Flynn.  flynn@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu  ihnp4!msudoc!flynn