[comp.sys.mac] Question about audio digitizer

jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) (12/03/87)

I've been thinking about getting an audio digitizer to put my voice, and sounds
from my synthesizer, into HyperCard stacks.  Have any of you tried this?  Have
any of you used an audio digitizer, if so what do you think of them
(particularly the one by Impulse).  Can the digitized sounds even be placed in
a HC script?  Will I need other applications to use digitized sounds in this
way?  If so, which ones, and how much are they?

Please send either e-mail or post.  Thanks.

						Jim Collymore

p.s. Apple people please feel free to commemt.

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (12/06/87)

In article <594@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) writes:
>I've been thinking about getting an audio digitizer to put my voice, and sounds
>from my synthesizer, into HyperCard stacks.  Have any of you tried this?  Have
>any of you used an audio digitizer, if so what do you think of them
>(particularly the one by Impulse).

I have had the Impulse digitizer for about a year and a half, and have found
it totally reliable.  It started with the SoundCap software package, but now
comes with Soundwave, which is much easier to use, but no longer has the
ability to compress sound files, like SoundCap.  That was rather nice for
getting StartupSounds on floppy disks (digitized sound takes up a LOT of
room in RAM and on disk; I think a hard drive and at least a Meg of RAM are
called for for any lengthy grabbings).

If I have one complaint about Impulse's product, it has rather informal,
sketchy documentation.  Didn't bother me much, but it might the digitizing
neophyte who expect quality documentation (and should, too!).

>Can the digitized sounds even be placed in
>a HC script?  Will I need other applications to use digitized sounds in this
>way?  If so, which ones, and how much are they?

There's only one I use, and it's dirt cheap -- free, in fact.  The
SoundConvert 1.01 stack is extremely simple to use, almost foolproof; it
takes SoundWave and SoundCap files and plugs them straight into your stacks,
while naming the stacks to be whatever you want them to.  One hint -- don't
put spaces in the sound's name.  And to play a sound in a HyperCard script,
just use the command "play <name of sound>".  That's it.

                "Well, if it wasn't Buckaroo Banzai, I'd say 'commit the man.'"

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...