[comp.sys.mac] Can a DA specify what area it is opened in?

shap@sfsup.UUCP (J.S.Shapiro) (12/05/87)

Actually, following on to my earlier DA question, it occurs to
me that some DA's really want to be opened in the application's
memory, and that under multifinder this is a potential problem.
Is there a way (ideally) that a DA can be tagged so that MultiFinder
knows that it wants to be in one area or the other?

If not, is there at least some method by which the DA can ex-post-facto
determine where it was opened so that it could inform the user
to fix the situation?

Jon Shapiro

goldman@apple.UUCP (Phil Goldman) (12/06/87)

In article <2454@sfsup.UUCP> shap@sfsup.UUCP (J.S.Shapiro) writes:
>Actually, following on to my earlier DA question, it occurs to
>me that some DA's really want to be opened in the application's
>memory, and that under multifinder this is a potential problem.

If the DA is Font/DA moved or ResEdited into an application, it will
be opened in that application's world and its windows will be contained
in the app's layer.

If the DA is put in the System File (or is used with Suitcase) it will
be opened in the system heap and its windows will be contained in the
DA Handler's layer.  Note that DAs should not make any assumptions at
all about characteristics of the DA Handler (i.e. the name, the signature,
etc.).  Rather, the most a DA should need to know is if it is in the
application heap or not, and maybe (but hopefully not) the name of the
currently executing application.

-Phil Goldman
Apple Computer