[comp.sys.mac] Multifinder & Terminals

wbell@utgpu.UUCP (11/21/87)

 [begone vile line-eater-thing or I shall...auggh!...MUNCH!]

 I have been using RedRyder 10.3 under MultiFinder a fair bit over the last
week, and am finding that it works quite nicely, including the ability to
download in the background while working on other tasks. However, RR10.3 needs
at *least* 300K to work with, so its not possible to load much else while
RR is running.  Other terminal programs use less memory, but most of them
put up a Modal dialog box while downloading, making it impossible to 'switch'
to another layer once the download has begun. (This includes MacTerminal
(which only needs 136K), FreeTerm 2.0, and MacKermit 0.8(35).)

 Does anyone know of any currently-available terminal programs that don't use
too much memory and can download in the background?
(I haven't got access to VersaTerm, but have heard that it downloads in the
background.. how much memory does it require? (please include data for both
VersaTerm and VersaTerm Pro)).

Thanks in advance,
Warren Bell
--
----
University of Toronto Computing Services	       Warren Bell

Disclaimer: the views expressed above are mine, and do not in any way reflect
the views of my employers.

gelphman@adobe.COM (David Gelphman) (11/23/87)

>Does anyone know of any currently-available terminal programs that don't use
>too much memory and can download in the background?
>(I haven't got access to VersaTerm, but have heard that it downloads in the
>background.. how much memory does it require? (please include data for both
>VersaTerm and VersaTerm Pro)).

     The default size for VersaTerm under MultiFinder is 284K. The default
for VersaTerm Pro is 488K. Starting with version 3.1 VersaTerm and 2.1 Pro
there is full support for full background processing.

David Gelphman

hannon@clio.las.uiuc.edu (11/23/87)

	Even if the program uses a modal dialog (such as Microphone, Freeterm,
etc.) you can still switch out of the program under MF, but you can not switch
back in (until the dialog goes away).  I have tried this with Microphone but
not with any others that use modal dialogs.  If you get this working with any
of the other terms, let us know.

+                                   |                                      +
+  Leonard Rosenthol                |  USnail:   205 E. Healey  #33        +
+  Halevai Software                 |            Champaign, Il  61820      +
+  GEnie: MACgician                 |                                      +
+  ARPA:  hannon@clio.las.uiuc.edu  |  Bitnet:   3FLOSDQ@UIUCNOSA.BITNET   +
+  {ihnp4|convex|pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!hannon                               +
+ Disclaimer #1: Since I own the company, I can say whatever I want, and   +
+                not be responsible for it!                                +
+                                                                          +
+ Disclaimer #2: Anything I say may be construed as being under the        +
+                jurisdiction of Disclaimer #1                             +

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (11/25/87)

In article <1987Nov21.124529.3556@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> wbell@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Warren Bell) writes:
> Does anyone know of any currently-available terminal programs that don't use
>too much memory and can download in the background?
>(I haven't got access to VersaTerm, but have heard that it downloads in the
>background.. how much memory does it require? (please include data for both
>VersaTerm and VersaTerm Pro)).

VersaTerm 3.1 (the one that downloads) allocates 224K, and downloads
beautifully in the background.  I don't have VersaTermPro, but it almost
certainly allocates more memory, since it is a larger program.

                       "I think it's time to stop carping on the blunders
                        of the President and give him some credit for
                        creativity.  I mean, where do you even FIND a Jewish
                        hard-line conservative Republican pot-smoker?
                        Sounds like an Oprah Winfrey guest."
                                        -- A. Whitney Brown

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

kraut@ut-ngp.UUCP (11/25/87)

>  Does anyone know of any currently-available terminal programs that don't use
> too much memory and can download in the background?

	I suspect that you should consider buying additional memory ...(-:

	I'm quite certain that I remember folks talking about a DA which
	downloads in the background - but I never tried it and can't recall
	the name or source ... someone else might, though.
	you also report RR-10.3 working in the background ... not for, it hasn't
	...yet, anyway .

--
werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu    (prefered address)
kraut@ut-ngp.uucp               (if you must)

hshiffma@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Hank Shiffman) (11/26/87)

In article <6924@ut-ngp.UUCP> kraut@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:

>	I'm quite certain that I remember folks talking about a DA which
>	downloads in the background - but I never tried it and can't recall
>	the name or source ... someone else might, though.
>	you also report RR-10.3 working in the background ... not for, it hasn't
>	...yet, anyway .

The DA in question is called Backdown.  It's shareware and is available on
CompuServe.  Basic operation is for you to request a download from your
remote host and then exit from your terminal program without hanging up the
phone.  You then start up Backdown.  You can close Backdown's window and it
will continue working in the background.  I've run a variety of (non-real-time)
games and other applications while downloading.  Works just great.

emwilen@garnet.berkeley.edu (Elliot Wilen,,,5278838,ME86) (12/07/87)

The DA which does background downloading is called Backdown.