[comp.sys.mac] Seeking arcade games for my Mac

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (11/05/87)

I am seeking arcarde shoot-em-up (and other) games that have been ported
to the Mac.  In particular, I am looking for :

			Centipede
			Tempest
			Defender
			Pac-Man
			Robotron

Any pointers are appreciated.

	-Ted

Ted C. Johnson
Hewlett Packard, Design Technology Center
Santa Clara, CA
(408)553-3555
UUCP: ...hplabs!hpcea!hpcilzb!tedj

evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) (11/08/87)

In article <870032@hpcilzb.HP.COM>, tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:
> I am seeking arcarde shoot-em-up (and other) games that have been ported
> to the Mac.  In particular, I am looking for :
>
> 			Centipede
> 			Tempest
> 			Defender
> 			Pac-Man
> 			Robotron
>
> Any pointers are appreciated.

Is this a new direction for Hewlett-Packard?  :)

We have very good Mac versions of defender and missile command.  I
was particularly impressed by the defender game.  It's become very
popular on our Mac network.

If I remember correctly, both of these were posted to comp.binaries.mac
some time ago.  If I'm wrong, I'll be glad to send them to the moderator.

	Evan Bauman
	Univ. of Notre Dame
	..!iuvax!ndcheg!evan

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (11/11/87)

in article <328@ndcheg.UUCP>, evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) says:

> I was particularly impressed by the defender game.  It's become very
> popular on our Mac network.
>
> 	Evan Bauman
> 	Univ. of Notre Dame
> 	..!iuvax!ndcheg!evan

I like defender myself, although I've found that the smart "zap" bombs
no longer work on my new SE. I'm curious about Evan's comment above:
Here at Acadia, games on public computers, micro and mainframe, are
strictly prohibited. We don't even allow students to access network news
groups concerning games. This policy isn't particularly popular with the
students of course, but its been the policy for a long, long time.
Do any other universities allow students to play games on the public
computers?

Back to the topic at hand, if the game doesn't have to be public domain,
the original poster of this discussion should definitely check out
Dark Castle. Its *very* good.

Peter Steele Acadia Univ. Wolfville NS Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121
UUCP:{uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}dalcs!aucs!Peter BITNET:Peter@Acadia

robertj@yale-zoo-suned..arpa (Rob Jellinghaus) (11/17/87)

In article <546@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>Here at Acadia, games on public computers, micro and mainframe, are
>strictly prohibited. We don't even allow students to access network news
>groups concerning games. This policy isn't particularly popular with the
>students of course, but its been the policy for a long, long time.
>Do any other universities allow students to play games on the public
>computers?

I work as a computing assistant here at Yale, maintaining the public
microcomputer clusters.  On our UNIX servers in the CS dept., we have
several megabytes of games up and running (and heavily played, and
very popular).  There are several people who make a hobby out of play-
ing and installing new games.  In the microcomputer clusters, we don't
forbid people from using the Macs for games, but we ask them to turn
the cound off and to leave if someone needs to use a Mac for writing
or other work.

Why does Acadia have such a hard-line policy?

>Peter Steele Acadia Univ. Wolfville NS Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121
>UUCP:{uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}dalcs!aucs!Peter BITNET:Peter@Acadia
Rob Jellinghaus                | "Lemme graze in your veldt,
jellinghaus@yale.edu.UUCP      |  Lemme trample your albino,
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |  Lemme nibble on your buds,
!..!ihnp4!hsi!yale!jellinghaus |  I'm your... Love Rhino" -- Bloom County

dwb@apple.UUCP (David W. Berry) (11/19/87)

In article <19070@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> robertj@yale.UUCP writes:
>In article <546@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>>Here at Acadia, games on public computers, micro and mainframe, are
>>strictly prohibited. We don't even allow students to access network news
>>groups concerning games. This policy isn't particularly popular with the
>>students of course, but its been the policy for a long, long time.
>>Do any other universities allow students to play games on the public
>>computers?
>
>Why does Acadia have such a hard-line policy?
	When I was at OU (Oklahoma) they had a similar hard-line
and unforceable policy.  The real effect was to wind up with lot's
of "simulations" some of them were even real time, like the PacMan
simulation :-)

--
	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.uucp                   dwb@Delphi

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (11/19/87)

in article <6771@apple.UUCP>, dwb@apple.UUCP (David W. Berry) says:

> In article <19070@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> robertj@yale.UUCP writes:
>>In article <546@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>>>Here at Acadia, games on public computers, micro and mainframe, are
>>>strictly prohibited. We don't even allow students to access network news
>>>groups concerning games.
>>
>>Why does Acadia have such a hard-line policy?
> 	When I was at OU (Oklahoma) they had a similar hard-line
> and unforceable policy.

I memory serves me correctly, the original reason for the taboo at Acadia
was simply because of lack of computer resources. At that time, however,
there wasn't really much effort at enforcing it. Then along came some
games (of a sort) that were abused tremendously. Specifially, poster
makers. Students were running off posters of all sorts on the central
line printer, pages and pages of posters. Then students started using
this poster program to put up not so nice posters, and that ended all
the fun. Ever since, games of any sort on our machines here are prohibited
(to students that is :-) ).

Peter Steele Acadia Univ. Wolfville NS Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121
UUCP:{uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}dalcs!aucs!Peter BITNET:Peter@Acadia

isle@dartvax.UUCP (Ken Hancock) (12/07/87)

ARGH!  At long last, we're back on the net...news-less for over two weeks
is a scary thing...

In article <546@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>I like defender myself, although I've found that the smart "zap" bombs
>no longer work on my new SE.

The smartbomb doesn't work on a Mac Plus keyboard either.  When Apple
remapped their keyboard, the Enter keys changed in some way.  EOF
doesn't work on a plus keyboard either in Lightspeed Pascal.

What I'd like to know, is if there is any way to make my smartbombs work!
Anyone know the author?  I believe the last release of MacLanding I've seen
is version 0.6.  Has anyone seen a newer one that works?

Thanks in advance --

Ken

--
Ken Hancock      UUCP: isle@dartvax
               BITNET: isle@u2.dartmouth.edu

DISCLAIMER: If people weren't so sue-happy, I wouldn't need one!