[comp.sys.mac] Can't reconstruct the Desktop file on a Mac II

hsg@duke.UUCP (11/24/87)

I am having trouble reconstructing my Desktop on a Mac II (5 megabytes
of memory, Apple Color monitor, MultiFinder/Finder 6.0, System 4.2, etc.)
using the old trick of holding down the option and command keys upon
rebooting the machine.

The problem arose from what seems to be a bug in PCPC HFS-Backup 2.0, in
which files restored to a Mac II had lost information about what application
they were associated with (thus MacDraw documents appeared just as documents
in the Finder window and double clicking on a MacDraw document would not
open up MacDraw even though both were in the same folder).

Anyhow, upon trying to reconstruct the desktop, the machine would do
some processing and then give an error message "Can't finish reconstructing
desktop, out of memory". This struck me as absurd since the Finder showed
nearly 3.5 megabytes of free memory. The same problem arose when using
2 bit grey-scale mode or 256 color mode. This all was done when Multifinder
was being used as the Startup application.

Does anyone know what is going on or how to fix this? Also, I would caution
people in using HFS-Backup 2.0 in transferring files from a non-Mac II to
a Mac II. I will summarize response to the net that are directly mailed
to me.

dwb@apple.UUCP (David W. Berry) (11/30/87)

In article <10691@duke.cs.duke.edu> hsg@duke.cs.duke.edu (Henry Greenside) writes:
>I am having trouble reconstructing my Desktop on a Mac II (5 megabytes
>of memory, Apple Color monitor, MultiFinder/Finder 6.0, System 4.2, etc.)
>using the old trick of holding down the option and command keys upon
>rebooting the machine.
>
>Anyhow, upon trying to reconstruct the desktop, the machine would do
>some processing and then give an error message "Can't finish reconstructing
>desktop, out of memory". This struck me as absurd since the Finder showed
>nearly 3.5 megabytes of free memory. The same problem arose when using
>2 bit grey-scale mode or 256 color mode. This all was done when Multifinder
>was being used as the Startup application.
>
>Does anyone know what is going on or how to fix this? Also, I would caution
>people in using HFS-Backup 2.0 in transferring files from a non-Mac II to
>a Mac II. I will summarize response to the net that are directly mailed
>to me.
	The problem arises because the desktop file construction builds
lots of resources and resources don't use the temporary memory allocation
stuff.  The solution is to boot Finder instead of MultiFinder (hold down
command when booting)  That way all the memory will be allocated to the
Finder and the build will complete successfully.  You can then start
MultiFinder by CommandOption opening it.
--
	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.uucp                   dwb@Delphi

clive@drutx.UUCP (12/03/87)

in article <6860@apple.UUCP>, dwb@apple.UUCP (David W. Berry) says:

>The solution is to boot Finder instead of MultiFinder (hold down
> command when booting)

The trouble with this is, if you have previously (as usual) Set
Startup to run Multifinder, the rebuild message comes up only after
Multifinder has started.

So I guess the trick is to start the machine, then re-Set Startup to
Finder only, then reboot with the shift-option-command held down.

Thanks for the explanation about the Finder memory, incidentally.  I
had increased my Finder memory allocation to avoid this problem, and
will now go back.

Clive Steward

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu.UUCP (12/07/87)

In article <6101@drutx.ATT.COM> clive@drutx.ATT.COM (Clive Steward) types:

<Discussion of needing to be in Finder-only mode to reconstruct the desktop>
<file of a hard disk>

>The trouble with this is, if you have previously (as usual) Set
>Startup to run Multifinder, the rebuild message comes up only after
>Multifinder has started.

>So I guess the trick is to start the machine, then re-Set Startup to
>Finder only, then reboot with the shift-option-command held down.

Nope, you can temporarily disable MultiFinder (without playing with the
boot blocks or with the Set Startup command) by holding down the command key
while you boot.

>Clive Steward

Robert Hammen	Computer Applications, Inc.	hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen		CI$: 70701,2104

dwb@apple.UUCP (12/08/87)

In article <6101@drutx.ATT.COM> clive@drutx.ATT.COM (Clive Steward) writes:
>> In article <10691@duke.cs.duke.edu> hsg@duke.cs.duke.edu (Henry Greenside) writes:
>>>I am having trouble reconstructing my Desktop on a Mac II (5 megabytes
>>>of memory, Apple Color monitor, MultiFinder/Finder 6.0, System 4.2, etc.)
>
>in article <6860@apple.UUCP>, dwb@apple.UUCP (David W. Berry) says:
>>
>>The solution is to boot Finder instead of MultiFinder (hold down
>> command when booting)
>
>The trouble with this is, if you have previously (as usual) Set
>Startup to run Multifinder, the rebuild message comes up only after
>Multifinder has started.
	OK.  Apparently I was a little vague :-)  Try this:
	1.  Reboot and hold Command down until the Finder's Apple
	Icon appears.  This prevents MultiFinder from loading.
	2.  As the Apple Icon appears, add option and shift to
	command, this will cause Finder to recreate the desktop.
	3.  Command-Option double click on MultiFinder to start
	it now that you've down what you needed to do.

	As an alternate, if you find you can't hit the, admittedly
	small window before the desktop appears, you can enter any
	arbitrary program after booting w/out multifinder as above
	and then hold down command-shift-option while exiting it.