[comp.sys.mac] Mac II Video RAM -- Good mail order source

jjd@bbn.COM (James J Dempsey) (11/17/87)

I recently purchased some video expansion memory from a mail order
source -- Microprocessors Unlimited.  I ordered by phone and received
the chips via US Mail (which I requested) three days later.  The total
price was $45.85 including shipping for the 8 chips necessary for
upgrade from 16 colors to 256 colors.  This beats Apple's $149 price.
They worked fine -- you just snap them in (carefully, avoiding static)
and when you boot, you have 256 colors.

Their address and phone:

Microprocessors Unlimited, Inc.
24,000 S. Peoria Ave
Beggs, OK 74421
(918) 267 4961

The parts are NEC 41264 120 ns 64Kx4 Dual port video RAM.
You need eight of them at $5.25 each.

They advertise in the back of Info World.  I was completely satisfied
and would use them again.

I'm not affiliated with them... blah blah etc.

		--Jim Dempsey--
		jjd@bbn.com (INTERNET)
		..!{decvax, ihnp4, wjh12, harvard}!bbn!jjd  (USENET)

emv@pepe.cc.umich.edu (Ed Vielmetti) (11/18/87)

In article <4675@cc5.bbn.COM> jjd@bbn.COM (James J Dempsey) writes:
>I recently purchased some video expansion memory from a mail order
>source -- Microprocessors Unlimited.

I've ordered from them before, too.  Great place, fast delivery,
knowlegable people.  Recommended.

>(918) 267 4961

Has anyone called them and see if they carry SIMMs ?

>		--Jim Dempsey--

Edward Vielmetti			emv@umix.cc.umich.edu
U-Michigan Workstation Group		emv@pepe.cc.umich.edu [35.1.1.201]
Ann Arbor MI  48109			{uunet,rutgers,msudoc}!umix!emv

jjd@bbn.UUCP (11/20/87)

In article <389@tardis.cc.umich.edu> emv@pepe.cc.umich.edu (Ed Vielmetti) writes:
>In article <4675@cc5.bbn.COM> jjd@bbn.COM (James J Dempsey) writes:
>>I recently purchased some video expansion memory from a mail order
>>source -- Microprocessors Unlimited.
>
>I've ordered from them before, too.  Great place, fast delivery,
>knowlegable people.  Recommended.
>
>>(918) 267 4961
>>

>Has anyone called them and see if they carry SIMMs ?

No, but I have their price list which they sent when I got my video
RAM.  The do list SIMMs, but the prices are only OK:

100 ns OKI        1048Kx8 M511000P-10    SIMM @ $265
120 ns MITSUBISHI 1048Kx9 M5M4C1000J-12  SIMM @ $295

I assume that these are 1MB SIMMs, although the 1048 instead of 1024
and the "x9" in the second entry confuse me.  The best prices I have
seen for RAM are in the sub $200 range.

stew@endor.harvard.edu (Stew Rubenstein) (11/22/87)

In article <4776@cc5.bbn.COM> jjd@cc5.bbn.com.BBN.COM (James J Dempsey) writes:
>100 ns OKI        1048Kx8 M511000P-10    SIMM @ $265
>120 ns MITSUBISHI 1048Kx9 M5M4C1000J-12  SIMM @ $295
>
>I assume that these are 1MB SIMMs, although the 1048 instead of 1024
>and the "x9" in the second entry confuse me.  The best prices I have
>seen for RAM are in the sub $200 range.

SIMMs have a spot for a parity bit, which isn't used on the Mac, i.e.,
the 9-wide simms are a waste.

Where have you seen 1 Mb SIMMs for under $200?

Stew Rubenstein
Cambridge Scientific Computing, Inc.
UUCPnet:    seismo!harvard!rubenstein            CompuServe: 76525,421
Internet:   rubenstein@harvard.harvard.edu       MCIMail:    CSC

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (11/23/87)

In article <3278@husc6.UUCP> stew@endor.UUCP (Stew Rubenstein) writes:
>Where have you seen 1 Mb SIMMs for under $200?

From the Nov 9 issue of Mac Today:

1mb SIMM $199
256K SIMM $49.75
2X1MB $388.00
4X1MB $769.00

800-Mac-1PAC

PSI 1609A S Main St
San Jose, CA 95035

I havn't tried them, has anyone else?

>Stew Rubenstein

Jerry Whitnell				Lizzi Borden took an axe
Communication Solutions, Inc.		And plunged it deep into the VAX;
					Don't you envy people who
					Do all the things You want to do?

In article <1305@csib.csi.UUCP> jwhitnel@csib.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) writes:
>In article <3278@husc6.UUCP> stew@endor.UUCP (Stew Rubenstein) writes:
>>Where have you seen 1 Mb SIMMs for under $200?
>
>From the Nov 9 issue of Mac Today:

I've gone off the deep end, replying to myself :-).

>PSI 1609A S Main St
>San Jose, CA 95035
>800-Mac-1PAC

I tried calling thes folks but can't reach them.  They list only the 800
number which is for non-CA only and wasn't able to find a 408 number for
them even though they list SJ as home.  If anyone from out of state reaches
them, let me know.

dwb@apple.UUCP (David W. Berry) (11/24/87)

In article <4776@cc5.bbn.COM> jjd@cc5.bbn.com.BBN.COM (James J Dempsey) writes:
>In article <389@tardis.cc.umich.edu> emv@pepe.cc.umich.edu (Ed Vielmetti) writes:
>No, but I have their price list which they sent when I got my video
>RAM.  The do list SIMMs, but the prices are only OK:
>
>100 ns OKI        1048Kx8 M511000P-10    SIMM @ $265
>120 ns MITSUBISHI 1048Kx9 M5M4C1000J-12  SIMM @ $295
>
>I assume that these are 1MB SIMMs, although the 1048 instead of 1024
>and the "x9" in the second entry confuse me.  The best prices I have
>seen for RAM are in the sub $200 range.
	The 1048 should almost certainly be 1024.  The x8 and x9 refer
to whether or not the simm has the parity slot filled in.  Since the
Mac doesn't use the parity you'd be spending $30 bucks for nothing.

--
	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.uucp                   dwb@Delphi

geb@cadre.UUCP (11/25/87)

In article <1305@csib.csi.UUCP> jwhitnel@csib.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) writes:
>In article <3278@husc6.UUCP> stew@endor.UUCP (Stew Rubenstein) writes:
>>Where have you seen 1 Mb SIMMs for under $200?
>
>From the Nov 9 issue of Mac Today:
>
>1mb SIMM $199

Caveat--The MacII is reputed to need 120ns SIMMs.
Make sure you don't buy slow ones.

john@felix.UUCP (John Gilbert) (12/08/87)

In article <3278@husc6.UUCP> stew@endor.UUCP (Stew Rubenstein) writes:
>In article <4776@cc5.bbn.COM> jjd@cc5.bbn.com.BBN.COM (James J Dempsey) writes:
>>I assume that these are 1MB SIMMs, although the 1048 instead of 1024
>>and the "x9" in the second entry confuse me.  The best prices I have
>>seen for RAM are in the sub $200 range.
>
>Where have you seen 1 Mb SIMMs for under $200?

Two months ago I bought two TOSHIBA 1meg SIMMS (120ns) from a parts supplier
(Marshall) here in Southern California for $180 each.  The company I work
for is a major customer, so that may have helped.  However, a friend has
just ordered the same parts, for $175 each from the same supplier
and did not have the same association with the company that I did.

The wait was about 10 days for me.  It is two months for my friend.
I am sure the price fluctuates, and it may very well depend upon your
business relationship with the company you buy from.  Marshal is not
really in the business of selling small quantity to folks off the
street.  They are a volume supplier for equipment manufacturers.

John G.
--
John Gilbert
!trwrb!felix!john