[comp.sys.mac] Internal hard drives for SE

jts@siemens.UUCP (12/04/87)

A while back I posted a couple of articles asking people for information on
large-capacity internal hard disk drives for the SE.  Much of the below is
culled from the December MacWorld, which has a shopper's guide to hard disk
drives.  (I make no claims as to its accuracy.  Also, please note that I've not
included all of the article's information for each drive.)

Don Carlile: I tried replying a number of times to you, but I'm not sure any
of them got through -- I had trouble with your return path.  Sorry.

Thanks to all who sent in information.  (Your theses are in the mail! (:-))

           Internal hard disk drives for Mac SE (40 meg or more)

CMS Enhancements
----------------
    Pro Series 40 SE: 40 meg, $1295 ($32.38/meg).
    (Last month, the Savings Zone quoted me $995 ($24.87/meg).)

    1 year warranty, 29 ms average access time.  hammen!csd4.milw.wisc.edu
    said that InfoWorld said that CMS just introduced some new drives,
    including a 60 meg drive that lets you keep both floppies.

General Computer
----------------
    HyperDrive FI-40 (SE): 40 meg, $1599 ($39.98/meg).

    1 year warranty, 29 ms average access time.

IBNC (Int'l Business Network)
-----------------------------
    IBNC 40 Internal: 40 meg, $850 ($21.25/meg).
    (Last month, a local store quoted $1050 ($26.25/meg); I haven't asked them
    this month.)

    1 year warranty, 29 ms average access time.

La Cie
------
    Slot Machine 40: 40 meg, $699 ($17.48/meg).
    Slot Machine 60: 60 meg, $899 ($14.98/meg).

    Lets you keep both floppies.  1 year warranty,  30 ms average access time.
    Partitioning and security software.  (Password protection at the driver
    level.)  La Cie is run by Joel Kammerman, formerly of Kammerman Labs.
    No room for expansion card if you install the drive on top of the second
    floppy; there is room for a card if you replace the second floppy.

Mass Micro Systems
------------------
    Mass 65i2: 65 meg, $1599 ($24.60/meg).

    Lets you keep both floppies.  1 year warranty, 26 ms average access time.

MicroTech International
-----------------------
    They're redesigning their microMac 45 into a 40 meg drive, to be available
    mid-December or so.  They haven't fixed a price, but they said roughly $800
    ($20.00/meg) if you don't trade in the second floppy (they provide a case),
    or $725 ($18.12) if you do trade in the floppy.

    1 year warranty, 28 to 30 ms average access time.  (They aren't sure yet.)

Mirror Technologies
-------------------
    450 SE: 45 meg, $1295 ($28.78/meg).
                    $1101 ($24.47/meg) (if you order directly from them)

    1 year warranty, 40 ms average access time.  Preformatted.
    They offer an optional case for the replaced floppy: $79 ($67 if you order
    directly from them).

Peripheral Land
---------------
    PL50i: 50 meg, $1295 ($25.90/meg).  (shipping now)
    PL65i: 65 meg, $1450 ($22.31/meg).  (delayed till early/mid January)

    1 year warranty, 35 ms average access time.  Partitioning software.
    Security software being modified to work with Finder 6.0.  They provide a
    case for the replaced floppy.  Uses 1:1 interleaving (custom SCSI driver).

ProApp
------
    ProApp 40SEI: 40 meg, $1295 ($32.38/meg).
    (Last month, the Savings Zone quoted me $1075 ($26.87/meg).)

    Lets you keep both floppies.  1 year warranty, 25 ms average access time.
    They were unable to tell me who sells their drives in my part of the
    country, but they suggested trying a Heath-Zenith store.

Relax Technology
----------------
    Relax SI 40: 40 meg, $1395 ($34.88/meg).
    Relax SI 80: 80 meg, $1795 ($22.44/meg).
    Relax SI 91: 91 meg, $1895 ($20.82/meg).

    4 month warranty (1 year warranty for $100), 45 ms average access time.

Rodime
------
    Rodime 450RX: 45 meg, $1595 ($35.44/meg).

    1 year warranty, 28 ms average access time.

Warp 9
------
    P45i: 45 meg, $899 ($19.98/meg)  (with second floppy trade-in).
                  $999 ($22.20/meg)  (without trade-in).

    90 day warranty, 28 ms average access time.  Preformatted drive.

Miscellaneous info:
-------------------
hammen!csd4.milw.wisc.edu sent mail saying that he knows someone who has a CMS
40 meg drive and someone who has a Hyperdrive 40, and both of them seem to like
their drives.

The article below is from Delphi Mac Digest volume 3 number 50.  I don't have
access to MacWEEK, so I couldn't look up the article.  CSnet-relay doesn't know
about ardec, so I also couldn't contact Tom Coradeschi.  Sorry.

> From: MACWEEKBOS
> Subject: re: Mac SE Internal Hard Disks (Re: Msg 23493)
> Date: 10-NOV 22:24 Network Digests
>
> To: tom coradeschi <tcora@ARDEC.ARPA>
> Subject: Mac SE Internal Hard Disks
>
> The July 20 issue of MacWEEK has my review of 5 internal hard drives for the
> Mac SE, including benchmarks. (MacWEEK is at 415-882-7370).  I concluded that
> Apple's internal 20 disk is competitive in speed and utility software, but
> priced exorbitantly on a cost/MB basis.  Rodime, GCC and Peripheral Land
> drives were all faster than Apple's with double the capacity for about the
> same money.  The CMS drive was a little slower, but a good value.  The Warp 9
> and Mirror drives were bargains, but somewhat slower (the difference may not
> be perceptible in everyday use).  The Warp 9 and Mirror had huge 47MB
> capacities.
>
> Ric Ford
> MacWEEK Boston

I also got the following (mail header abridged)

> From: princeton!husc6.harvard.edu!harvard!ut-sally!uunet!eplrx7!eplrx7!lad
>(Lawrence Dziegielewski)
> Subject: MicahDrives are OK
>
> I have a 45Meg internal Micah Drive in my SE.  I have a 2 floppy Mac,
> and Micah doesn't require you to remove the second floppy.  The drive
> is 35ms,  quiet,  and I still have room inside for another hard drive
> when I need it.
>
> Micah.  1 800 782 0097.
>
> Standard disclaimers apply.
>
> /lad

Presumably Mr. Dziegielewski has sold his stock in Micah?

    -- Jim Sasaki (jts%siemens.com, ...!princeton!siemens!jts)

-----
Any opinions above are my own and not necessarily those of Siemens, for whom
I consult.

It's a bird!  It's a plane!  It's an apostrophe!  (A feeble attempt at a
mnemonic device to help people remember when to apostrophize "i t s".)

cs021069@brap0a15 (Nick Thompson) (12/05/87)

Thanx muchly for the hard drive info... I don't suppose you've seen
any information on internal drives for the Mac II in your research?
I made the incredibly naive mistake of thinking that I could do anything
with a single-drive Mac II...

If I get mail on this, I'll post the results for the rest of you...

                                    Knick

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (12/06/87)

Here is some 80Mb Internal low-cost Mac II Disk info.  Shipping not included:

Jasmine-80: $1399 (no discounts, mail order from manufacturer, w/PD software)
Warp-9, 80: $1295 (no discounts, mail order from manufacturer in Wisconsin)
CMS-80:     $1219 (CDA Computer, NJ, 201-728-8080, See Nov. MacUser)
Apple 80Mb: $2000+

CMS (Valencia, CA) does a lot of IBM PC business, and sells through
dealers.  The above four drives are based on the Quantum-80 disk, and
are functionally identical but have different SCSI firmware.  Thus,
formatters/diagnostics may not interoperate correctly.  Access time is
uniformly 26ms for this quantum disk.  My CMS-80 formatted down to
approx 77,000K of useable storage.

MicahDrive: $???? (seen in Macazine, forgot the price/info)
Magic-91:   $1195 (mail order, seen in tabloid MacWeek?
		      MacintoshToday? last week)

If the Magic-91 resembles other -91 disks, it may have 18ms access
time, and may be a bargain.  I don't know which disk maker builds the
low-cost -91 disks (maybe not quantum).  Be forwarned that sometimes
disk makers turn out "lemon" models (noisy, likely to crash).  I found
out about the MagicDrive last week.  I bought the CMS-80 because of
the good price.  It is very quiet, and trivial to install yourself.

Don Gillies {ihnp4!uiucdcs!gillies} U of Illinois
            {gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu}

kwallich@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Ken Wallich) (12/07/87)

>Here is some 80Mb Internal low-cost Mac II Disk info.  Shipping not included:

>Jasmine-80: $1399 (no discounts, mail order from manufacturer, w/PD software)

The internal Jamsine drive for the MacII is a 90MB, not 80.  The last price
I saw was $1599.

>The above four drives are based on the Quantum-80 disk, and
>are functionally identical but have different SCSI firmware.  Thus,
>formatters/diagnostics may not interoperate correctly.  Access time is
>uniformly 26ms for this quantum disk.  My CMS-80 formatted down to

The 80MB *EXTERNAL* drive Jasmine sells is a Quantum-80 26ms, the INTERNAL
is a 90MB CDC WrenIII with 16.5ms access.  It comes with its own formatter.

I have no data on the other drives.  I do, however, have a 160mb WrenIII
on my macII, which is quiet, fast, and has more storage than I know what
to do with (but I'm working on that!).  We have a MacII here at the office
with the Inner Drive 90 (Jasmines code name), and it is also fast, quiet,
comes with all the software you need (plus 10mb of shareware).  All the
folks I know who have had Jasmines are happy with the hardware, and with the
people at Jasmine.

**I have no relationship with CDC, Jasmine, Apple, or myself**

--------------------
Ken Wallich			*My views are mine, and mine alone*
Consultant			"Camelot! Camelot! -- It's only a model"
DCI 				kwallich@hpsmtc1.HP.COM
@Hewlett Packard		...hplabs!hpsmtc1!kwallich

"Why am I soft in the middle, when the rest of my life is so hard? - P.Simon"

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert Joseph Hammen) (12/08/87)

In article <76000061@uiucdcsp> gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu types:
>Magic-91:   $1195 (mail order, seen in tabloid MacWeek?
>		      MacintoshToday? last week)
>
>If the Magic-91 resembles other -91 disks, it may have 18ms access
>time, and may be a bargain.

Magic has been selling SCSI disks for a while now, and most of their
reviews were bad, primarily due to very inefficient SCSI drivers. I don't
know if this is the case with the Magic-91, but it's worth checking before
purchasing.

> I don't know which disk maker builds the
>low-cost -91 disks (maybe not quantum).

I believe that CDC is making these disks, also used by Jasmine in their
InnerDrive & FWB in their hammer series.

Robert Hammen	Computer Applications, Inc.	hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen		CI$: 70701,2104