[comp.sys.mac] Development Environment Advice Wanted

fred@howtek.UUCP (12/02/87)

I've been setting up a development environment to do color work on the
MacII.  I've run into a significant problem and I thought maybe some
of you out there might have some suggestions.  At the very least maybe I
can warn you of a potential problem.

We've set ourselves up with two MacIIs and two PCPCII monitors.  We
originally ordered Supermac Spectrum monitors, but thought we couldn't wait
the amount of time they quoted for delivery.  We're running all of the
latest system software and Lightspeed C 2.13.  Now I thought I was more
than ready to sit down and take on 3 or 4 projects with all this great
hardware and software but then I tried to find a debugger.

We've tried TMON, Macsbug and Jasik's "The Debugger".  "The Debugger"
bombs.  We suspect it might not with more than a megabyte of RAM so we have
ordered the 2meg upgrades.  TMON puts up an illegible box in the top left
corner of the screen.  This is due to the fact that the PCPCII has no "1bit
mode".  Macsbug loads O.K., but doesn't display anything or take any
commands when it gets an interrupt.

I've called Personal Computer Peripherals Corp. and they were most polite,
however when I eventually got my question to an engineering type he said
that he was unaware of any debuggers that would work and he used an Apple
monochrome monitor for debugging.  Not all too helpful.  19" high res color
monitors are not cheap.  Now I'm supposed to go out and buy some other
monitor when I want to debug?  The PCPCII monitors have great color.  The
staff at PCPC was great and delivered me 2 monitors within 7 days of
placing the order.  However, I think I might do things differently were I
to know what I know now.

Anyone out there have a similar environment and know a way around this
problem?  Read a little desparation into that last sentence.  We're fairly
novice Mac programmers here and a debugger would make my life quite a bit
simpler.  Our Mac projects are proceeding, but slower than I would like.

--
-Fred.

singer@endor.harvard.edu (THINK Technologies) (12/04/87)

The current version of MacsBug, version 5.5, works fine on a Mac II -
even disassembles 68020 and 68881 opwords, and works with or without
color, with one screen or with many.

		--Rich

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies).

* Richard M. Siegel | {decvax, ucbvax, sun}!harvard!endor!singer    *
* Customer Support  | singer@endor.harvard.edu			    *
* Symantec, THINK Technologies Division.  (No snappy quote)         *

jmunkki@santra.UUCP (Juri Munkki) (12/09/87)

In article <3456@husc6.harvard.edu> singer@endor.UUCP (THINK Technologies) writes:
>The current version of MacsBug, version 5.5, works fine on a Mac II -
>even disassembles 68020 and 68881 opwords, and works with or without
And it slows down the 68881 by about 50%. Can anyone else verify this?
I moved to TMON mainly because it does not affect the speed of my Mac.

I hope none of the Byte or MacTutor benchmarks were run under MacsBug.

Still, ES works better in MacsBug than it does in TMON.

Juri Munkki
jmunkki@santra.hut.fi
jmunkki@fingate.bitnet
lk-jmu@finhut.bitnet

Disclaimer: I'm just a freelance programmer, you shouldn't listen to me anyway.