[comp.sys.mac] 2meg upgrade, can't zap PRAM?

wade@sdacs.ucsd.EDU (Wade Blomgren) (12/04/87)

After installing a Dove MacSnap Plus2 upgrade in a Mac+ (this is the
256K SIMM piggyback upgrade, non expandable), I find that I can no
longer obtain the Zap PRAM dialog when invoking the control panel while
holding down command-shift-option...The machine just beeps once and then
takes longer than usual to open the DA itself. This happens when booting
from any number of known floppies, or the hard disk. The 5 volts is fine,
and the memory upgrade is otherwise working wonderfully.  The only problem
I have found so far is this lack of access to the PRAM flushing routine.
This is with System 4.2, Finder 6.0, and or MF 1.0.

What do you think? Have I fried something, or is the anomaly due to the
presence of the memory upgrade, or what?  If anybody has any other techniques
or snippets of code for flushing the PRAM, besides taking out the battery
(which I have done), I would like to hear them.

The main aggravation from this is that Pyro! is no longer working..something
I have experienced before after a machine has been opened up, but which has
been resolved by clearing the PRAM via the dialog.

Thanks for any insights.

Wade Blomgren
wade@sdacs.ucsd.edu

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu.UUCP (12/07/87)

In article <478@sdacs.ucsd.EDU> wade@sdacs.ucsd.EDU (Wade Blomgren) writes:
>After installing a Dove MacSnap Plus2 upgrade in a Mac+ (this is the
>256K SIMM piggyback upgrade, non expandable), I find that I can no
>longer obtain the Zap PRAM dialog when invoking the control panel while
>holding down command-shift-option...

I don't believe that the command-option-shift-Control Panel feature works on
the Mac Plus. The reasoning behind this is that the Mac Plus has a battery
you can pull out in the back, while we all know that the SE and II have the
battery soldered into the motherboard (after all, they never fail, do they?).

Robert Hammen	Computer Applications, Inc.	hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen		CI$: 70701,2104

mo@well.UUCP (Maurice Weitman) (12/09/87)

'
'The main aggravation from this is that Pyro! is no longer working..something
'I have experienced before after a machine has been opened up, but which has
'been resolved by clearing the PRAM via the dialog.

Wade, second things first:  Pyro! works erraticaly with MF.  Stay
tuned for a patch/upgrade from Software Supply.

I was under the impression that the [control-]command-shift-option
trick only worked on SEs and IIs.  In any event, you lucky Plus
people can pop the battery for a spell to zap that PRAM.  Maybe
it worked before because you were using a System installed for an
SE?  (Dumb guess.)  I doubt that there's any hardware problem.
--
Maurice Weitman           ..!{dual,hplabs,lll-crg,ptsfa,glacier}!well!mo
 | <- this is not a pipe   POBox 10019 Berkeley, CA  94709  (415)549-0280
Quote:  "If we're not listening, we'd have to be pretty blind." J-L Gassee
Disclaimer:  Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.