[comp.sys.mac] HyperCard Find

clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) (12/07/87)

I was asked this question by a guy on the weekend, and was unable to help
him.  Any of you Hypercard gurus able to answer??

"I want to have a BACKGROUND button which has a script that tries to FIND
an arbitrary text.  However, when I try it, it only finds the text in
BACKGROUND fields, not FOREGROUND.  The FIND works properly when you use
the MESSAGE box.. how come?"

The guy concerned was not a programmer and so was quite pissed off that
Apple had dangled this carrot in front of him (let him actually program up
an application that suited his needs) and then taken it away (by
introducing stupid bugs that, quite frankly, a non-programmer can live
without...

Jeff Laing (where for art thou comp.sys.mac.hypercard?)

Club Mac Macintosh Users Group, Sydney, Australia
Phone Home: +61-2-73-4444
Snail:      Box 213, Holme Building, Sydney University, NSW, 2006, Australia
ACSnet:     clubmac@runx.ips.oz	   ARPA:   clubmac%runx.ips.oz@uunet.css.gov
UUCP:{enea,hplabs,mcvax,prlb2,uunet,ubc-vision,ukc}!munnari!runx.ips.oz!clubmac

paulm@nikhefk.UUCP (Paul Molenaar) (12/09/87)

In article <1262@runx.ips.oz>, clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) writes:

> I was asked this question by a guy on the weekend, and was unable to help
> him.  Any of you Hypercard gurus able to answer??
>
> "I want to have a BACKGROUND button which has a script that tries to FIND
> an arbitrary text.  However, when I try it, it only finds the text in
> BACKGROUND fields, not FOREGROUND.  The FIND works properly when you use
> the MESSAGE box.. how come?"
>
> Jeff Laing (where for art thou comp.sys.mac.hypercard?)

Same problem here. I noticed that strange Find bug too. My
solution is a real kludge, but it works.

Instead of issuing the FIND command in script, TYPE the FIND command
with all the arguments into the message box and then (again
from script) add a return. Like:

on mouseUp
   type "FIND" && quote & key & quote && "in background field id" && number &
   return
end mouseUp

This also makes the repeated FIND easier.

I made a stack that needed a search option on partial keys. So I wanted
HC to keep on looking when the user stated that the item found wasn't
the right one.

I made a script to do this (if interested I can mail/post it) that
expects a second field for every field to be looked in. The item found
is put in the second field (named something like showName). When
the user says he wants to keep on searching, the next item found is
compared to the contents of showName. If it's the same, my script
says that 'it's all there is'. And cancels the search. Otherwise
a repeated search would be impossible.

If you like I can upload the lot. To comp.sys.mac.hypercard maybe?

To Apple:
Why do you reply to all the easy answers in comp.sys.mac.hypercard
bu happily skip all the possibly difficult ones? Seems like
the HyperCard group chooses the easy way out. Too many bugs in HC
perhaps?
--
        Paul Molenaar

	"Just checking the walls"