[comp.sys.mac] Tools for Recovering Lost Files

jonesg@pc.ecn.purdue.edu (Glynda Jones) (12/08/87)

I am looking for something that has more file recovery ability than
Disk First Aid (Apple Product).  I am particularly interested in
recovery (full, partial--whatever) of files on floppies that
somehow have become unreadable.  Hard disk recovery is also
important.  Any info, comments, comparisons or criticisms
would be greatly appreciated.

Glynda Jones Davis
Department of Freshman Engineering
Purdue University
West Lafayette, Indiana  47907

One of the Blind Leading the Blind

kraut@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (12/09/87)

In article <792@pc.ecn.purdue.edu>, jonesg@pc.ecn.purdue.edu (Glynda Jones) writes:
> I am looking for something that has more file recovery ability than
> Disk First Aid (Apple Product).  I am particularly interested in
> recovery (full, partial--whatever) of files on floppies that
> somehow have become unreadable.  Hard disk recovery is also
> important.  Any info, comments, comparisons or criticisms
> would be greatly appreciated.

MacZAP is, if not the ONLY, real DiskRecovery program, the ULTIMATE drp ...
if you can't do it with ZAP you can pretty much forget it.

Since release 4.5 MicroAnalyst also has a program called DiskDoctor which
does the handholding and helps you figure out what is wrong and how to fix it.
This program was written in response to criticism of the "difficult" interface
and the fact that people don't seem to read the manual and the author got
tired of receiving support phone-calls only to have to tell the people things
that are clearly stated in the manual that they had to do.

Now, whereas noone will dispute that any manual or user-interface can be
improved, the problem here is really that solving a difficult problem often
tends to get messy and no "nice and easy" solutions are available, i.e. you
have to get "your hands dirty" and get involved with bits and hex codes...
so the criticism of ZAP has been somewhat overdone, I believe (on the other
hand, Les just recently feels that writing in C might be acceptable, rather
than hacking in ASM, and the user-interface and manual produced by an
ASM-hacker is often not for the weak-hearted :-)

Anyway, the news is that whereas DiskDoctor now helps you analyze the problem
and identify the actions you need to take, Les is now working on hooking the
ZAP "action" code into the DiskDoctor "analysis" code, so that it will be
even easier to fix things.  However, this is such a non-trivial task that I
would NOT recommend waiting for that to be completed before buying MacZAP-

---Werner

PS: Disclaimers apply; I'm a friend of the troops at MicroAnalyst and sometimes
	drink their beer.

PSPS: If I ever get out from under all these deadlines at work I may even find
	time to again post the latest ZAP recovery and copy parameters.
	if you send me your pleas and requests by Email the matter would surely
	rise a couple of points in priority in my TBD-stack... (-:

--
werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu    (prefered address)
kraut@ut-ngp.uucp               (if you must)