[comp.sys.mac] I finally WON Wizardry!

jlc@atux01.UUCP (12/07/87)

Well, after 150+ hours of play, I finally won Wizardry.  I was rather
disappointed about the reward at the end.  I think they should have trumpets
sound (like when you get the correct key in Dark Castle), and each party
member should rise a level, or be given some special power or magic item (not
to be found in the dungeon).

Anyway, I did win.  My team consisted of one 11th level fighter and 2 12th level
fighters, a 13th level priest, a 13th level thief (who died in the final battle
and who even the temple failed to resurrect), and a 13th level mage.

I'll give you all a hint, don't even think about tackling the wizard unless
both your priest AND mage are 13th level!

Happy adventuring!

						Jim Collymore

holland@reed.UUCP (Michael L. Reerink, President) (12/10/87)

+
+I'll give you all a hint, don't even think about tackling the wizard unless
+both your priest AND mage are 13th level!

I remember playing Wizardry. I spent a lot of time trying to get my party up
to decent levels. I would recommend the following party: 2 lvl 10 or higher
fighters (150+ hp), a lvl 12 or higher thief (100+ hp), a lvl 12+ priest with
at least 4 highest level priest spells and TWO lvl 12+ mages, with both a big
amount of highest level spells.  This works really well, since you ccan really
wipe out most monsters in a turn or two, before your party starts collecting
hits.
I would recommend skipping levels 4-8, and just play on the other levels.I
found out that I didn't enjoy losing my complete team on level 6 or so.
Just skip them. Level 9 is not that much harder than level 3.

If you want to cheat, here's the way: write-protect your disk before you send
your characters to increase a level. If you are not happy with what they get,
just quit or start a new expedition. The character will not have gained a
level the next time you send 'm to the hotel. Just keep trying until you're
happy, then unlock the disk and let it write the new abilities to the disk.

There is an easier way: get the editor. This way you can really have a lot of
fun. After a couple of hours of play you just send your 300th level priest up
to the wizard and just kill his party. It is fun!
--
          Michael L. Reerink        * ...!{ogcvax, tektronix}!reed!holland
        Box # 503 Reed College      * Disclaimer: if I needed a disclaimer

bruce@escargot.UUCP (Bruce Hoof) (12/11/87)

In article <596@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) writes:
>Well, after 150+ hours of play, I finally won Wizardry.  I was rather
>disappointed about the reward at the end.  I think they should have trumpets
>sound (like when you get the correct key in Dark Castle), and each party
>member should rise a level, or be given some special power or magic item (not
>to be found in the dungeon).

        Fun wasn't it.  But you must remember that this is a old game
by the current standards.  Wizardry II & III is out in Apple II version.
Wizardry one was the only one to be ported over to the Mac.  I read
in a recent computer gaming magazine that Wizardry IV is on its way
and It will be different.  The player becomes the evil wizard and
has to fight his way out of the maze battling many different
adventurers. You can conjour up many different creatures to aid you.
All the graphics are done on a Mac and if you have your own characters
from previous gaming you can fight them in the maze!!!!

        Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Bruce
(bruce@escargot)
Disclaimer: I have no connection to the Wizardry product except owning
it.