[comp.sys.mac] I need directions to use SUMEX

buzz@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mahboud Zabetian) (12/09/87)

I have access to SUMEX, but I don't know how to get around while I am on it.  I
ftp sumex and then where do I loook for files?  How do I move about in the
directories?  Where do I find a list of files?

What I am looking for is NetTrek.  Anyone know where to look?  Thank you.

--
Mahboud Zabetian				buzz@phoenix.princeton.edu
183 Little Hall 					(609) 520-1270

kraut@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (12/09/87)

In article <1289@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, buzz@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mahboud Zabetian) writes:

> I have access to SUMEX, but I don't know how to get around while I am on it.

[ depending on the command-set of the FTP-program you are running,
  the commands you need to use may differ slightly; just learn about *YOUR*
  FTP ]

so you FTP to SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU
login as ANONYMOUS with any password (preferably your userid)
change to directory <INFO-MAC> (you are talking to a godd-ol' DEC-20 with TOPS)
which is the ONLY directory containing ALL the stuff (if more of you guys had
complained to the maintainers in the past, maybe that would be different)

..now, DO NOT make the mistake to list the directory - that will take forever,
and there is a GOOD mechanism installed that allows you to avoid that !!!!

ok, here is the poop:  there are several files named 00... (in particular,
00DIR.NAMES, 00DIR.RECENT, 00DIR.ANNOTATED, 00DIR.VERBOSE, ...) which describe
the directory contents (simply list the directory of file-names starting with
00, with a command like  "DIR 00*.*") most of these files should be up-to-date
as they are recreated automatically and daily.

copy these documentation files to your site with a GET command and disconnect
from SUMEX to study those files locally.  when you know which files you want
to GET from SUMEX, and you have studied how to do a "multiple get" with your
FTP-program to save time,   open another FTP-connection to SUMEX, login,
change dir to <INFO-MAC>, and get your files ...

*PLEASE* , do not abuse the people trying to do *REAL WORK* at SUMEX by doing
large file-transfers during their prime-working hours, or we may lose those
archives faster than you can say *I AM SORRY!* ... SUMEX is in CA, i.e. Pacific
Time ....

Now, remember that there are also other sites with archives, announced or
unannounced.  First check with your local-sites, and, maybe try to convince
your local administrator that it would be useful to keep the MOST USEFUL
mac-files archived locally (like XBIN, BINHEX, MACPUT/GET, UW, MACKERMIT, etc..)
so your local users do not depend on SUMEX being up...

remember that SIMTEL is the place where you can find *EVERYTHING* if you know
where to look (they serve the MILNET, mainly), and well organized in
sub-directories for DAs, Fonts, Utilities, etc .... to boot.

and I bet I could find archives at berkeley, mit, cmu, ut, .. many more, just by
snooping around (sites make those FTP-directories available to be used, after
all, even though they don't often announce it, because otherwise everyone
would end up using their services.  Everyone is afraid to let people know
that they have archives and mail-gateways because then *EVERYONE* uses
them.  It seems unbelievable that there is no central registry of all
sites with archives and mail-gateways - for all to query so the load is
balanced and shared ... ah, pet pieves raise their ugly head ....

sorry, to get sidetracked; anyway, I hope this helps ....

PS: have you ever wondered why every site which you can reach with FTP
    and login ANONYMOUS does have a file named README or 00README in the login
    directory which explains what's available and how to make use of it??

	What is that you say?  Most sites DO NOT have such instructions in
	an obvious place??  That's hard to believe ..... ))-:

--
werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu    (prefered address)
kraut@ut-ngp.uucp               (if you must)

cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) (12/11/87)

>remember that SIMTEL is the place where you can find *EVERYTHING* if you know
>where to look (they serve the MILNET, mainly), and well organized in
>sub-directories for DAs, Fonts, Utilities, etc .... to boot.

Can you elaberate on SIMTEL? I have never heard of it.

Chris Christensen				Hewlett-Packard
(408) 553-2955 or telnet 553-2955		Design Technology Center
cnc@dtc.hp.com					Santa Clara, CA
...!hplabs!hpcid!cnc