[comp.sys.mac] Another request for Tech Notes

strout@lll-lcc.aRpA (Robert E Strout) (12/09/87)

   Yes... I too recieved munged copies of Tech Notes #170 and #175 (CRC error).

   Could someone send me good ones.

   What the heck... While I'm at it, I am also missing a number of back issues
   of the Tech Notes.  I know its alot to ask, but if someone has these handy
   I would sure appreaciate copies mailed to me.  I am missing the following
   (in addition to 170, 175):

	2,6,7-9,14,17,22,25,27,30,31,33,35,37-9,47-9,77-83,107

   I would appreciate anything that may be sent.  Thanks...

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
 Rob Strout II (resii)				strout@lll-lcc.arpa

kraut@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (12/09/87)

In article <1362@lll-lcc.aRpA>, strout@lll-lcc.aRpA (Robert E Strout) writes:

>    Yes... I too recieved munged copies of Tech Notes #170 and #175 (CRC error)

we had the same problem reported here; however, it turns out, that using xbin
on the mainframe (rather than downloading and using binHex in the Mac) works
just fine.  seems to indicate a bug in binHex that has been with us for a
LOOONG time (at least I remember this problem that loooong). download the
xbin output with macput, of course ....

>    What the heck... While I'm at it, I am also missing a number of back issues
>    of the Tech Notes.  I know its alot to ask, but if someone has these handy
>    I would sure appreaciate copies mailed to me.  I am missing the following

they are archived at SUMEX and SIMTEL and .... and seeing that you are on the
ARPA-net, I think I know someone that will be learning abaout FTP now ..((-:

BTW, you entered a lot of junk into the KEYWORD-header that you, probably, did
not mean to, as it makes little sense for the intended use of the feature:

a proper keyword might have been "TechNotes" or something - but the keyword
feature isn't consistently used or taken advantage of (that I know about)
anyway ...

--
werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu    (prefered address)
kraut@ut-ngp.uucp               (if you must)

steele@unc.cs.unc.edu (Oliver Steele) (12/10/87)

kraut@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>In article <1362@lll-lcc.aRpA>, strout@lll-lcc.aRpA (Robert E Strout) writes:
>
>>    Yes... I too recieved munged copies of Tech Notes #170 and #175 (CRC error)
>
>we had the same problem reported here; however, it turns out, that using xbin
>on the mainframe (rather than downloading and using binHex in the Mac) works
>just fine.  seems to indicate a bug in binHex that has been with us for a
>LOOONG time (at least I remember this problem that loooong). download the
>xbin output with macput, of course ....

You can also use a teditor to remove all the lines preceding "(This file
must be...)".  Colons in certain situations confuse Binhex, and I think
there's something else, frequently found in technotes, that confuses
Binhex too.  Removing the header has fixed all the problems I've had that
didn't turn out to be transmission problems (I finally ported xbin to the
mac just so I could test things like this :-).

>>    of the Tech Notes.  I know its alot to ask, but if someone has these handy
>>    I would sure appreaciate copies mailed to me.  I am missing the following

>>    2,6,7-9,14,17,22,25,27,30,31,33,35,37-9,47-9,77-83,107,170,175

>they are archived at SUMEX and SIMTEL [....]

There are some holes in the archives.  Most of the above are there, but
there are a few missing.  Anybody for a repackaging of the archived
technotes (say, each decade stuffited as a separate file) and a list of
what's missing?  I could do it, but I'd cost more transmission time than
if somebody local to stanford has time.

Oliver Steele				  ...!{decvax,ihnp4}!mcnc!unc!steele
UNC-CH LING Senior					 steele%unc@mcnc.org

		    "No snappy quote" -- Richard Siegel

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (12/11/87)

IS there a TN31?  It isn't listed in the TN0 index...

	-Ted

Disclaimer: (I don't have the index in front of me, but I THINK it's
             TN31 that wasn't listed.  It could have been TN13....)

cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) (12/11/87)

>>    What the heck... While I'm at it, I am also missing a number of back issues
>>    of the Tech Notes.  I know its alot to ask, but if someone has these handy
>>    I would sure appreaciate copies mailed to me.  I am missing the following
>
>they are archived at SUMEX ...

Where are they at SUMEX? I usually look in the INFO-MAC directory and the only
ones I have found there are the older notes.

cnc