[comp.sys.mac] OS/2 memory requirements

newbery@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Michael Newbery) (12/07/87)

I just thought the Mac world might be interested in the following, especially
in light of the debate about Hypercard/Multifinder (standard system software)
hardware requirements.

I just went to an IBM seminar on OS/2 (my boss made me :-()
*MINUMUM* requirements to *RUN* OS/2 standard edition are:
	2MB memory	>15MB disk
*MINIMUM* requirements to run OS/2 extended edition (LAN support etc.) are:
	3MB memory	>15MB disk.
Another source suggests that 6MB memory is needed for decent performance
from extended edition.

By the way Apple, is Multifinder going to page sometime in the future? (As
a SWITCHABLE OPTION, PLEASE!)
--
Michael Newbery

ACSnet:	newbery@vuwcomp.nz  UUCP: newbery@vuwcomp
Une boule qui roule tue les poules.		(Landslides kill chickens)

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (12/07/87)

>I just thought the Mac world might be interested in the following, especially
>in light of the debate about Hypercard/Multifinder (standard system software)
>hardware requirements.

>I just went to an IBM seminar on OS/2 (my boss made me :-()
>*MINUMUM* requirements to *RUN* OS/2 standard edition are:
>	2MB memory	>15MB disk

I didn't know that the IBM had 15 Megabyte floppy disks....

>By the way Apple, is Multifinder going to page sometime in the future? (As
>a SWITCHABLE OPTION, PLEASE!)

Not without an MMU it won't, so if it does happen, it'll only happen on the
Mac II

chuq
---
Chuq "Fixed in 4.0" Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM	Delphi: CHUQ

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (12/09/87)

The article on the cover of MacWeek 31 says computerland thinks it
will cost a minimum of $1500 to set up your machine to run OS/2.  It's
fun to smash on vaporware, but actually you're just expending hot air
for no reason.  I frankly would be VERY suprised if Microsoft can
release a product anywhere near the functionality of Apple's
system/finder.  There are certain types of software that cannot be
written from scratch -- they must be *evolved*

Don Gillies {ihnp4!uiucdcs!gillies} U of Illinois
            {gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu}

newbery@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Michael Newbery) (12/11/87)

In article <76000063@uiucdcsp> gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>... It's fun to smash on vaporware, but ...
AS the IBM types at the seminar were at pains to point out, OS/2 standard
edition, release 1 is here NOW, it is not vapourware.:-) Of course the first
version does lack some frills - like the Presentation Manager (Windows)!
And THIS takes 2MB memory and 15MB "hard file".

No argument about evolution, I agree totally.