[comp.sys.mac] Crashes while being TOPS server

alcmist@well.UUCP (Frederick Wamsley) (12/05/87)

My company is running a TOPS network of Mac II's (4.1/5.5) over Phonenet
cabling.  Machines which have published folders will intermittently
crash with bus errors when someone else on the network tries to copy a
file from them.  The crash generally happens after the file has been copied.
The problem has no clear correlation with what the server is doing (it's
even happened in the Finder's idle loop).  The problem never occurs
when we try to duplicate it :-)

The only INIT we use that didn't come from Apple or TOPS is TMON Startup,
but a machine without TMON has crashed with the same symptoms.

The TOPS folks suggested a software upgrade (which hasn't completely
solved things).  Beyond that they say they can't duplicate the problem.
I believe them.  I'm running on the assumption that something in our
configuration is destabilizing TOPS.

Has anyone seen this failure mode before?  If so, were you able to fix it?
If so, could you please (please!  beg, beg, beg) explain how?

If email doesn't get through I can take phone calls at (206)462-0501.
--
Fred Wamsley  {dual,hplabs}!well!alcmist;well!alcmist@lll-crg.arpa;
CIS 72247,3130; GEnie FKWAMSLEY;ATT Mail fwamsley; USPS - why bother?

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (12/11/87)

In article <4632@well.UUCP> alcmist@well.UUCP (Frederick Wamsley) writes:
>My company is running a TOPS network of Mac II's (4.1/5.5) over Phonenet
>cabling.  Machines which have published folders will intermittently
>crash with bus errors when someone else on the network tries to copy a
>file from them.  The crash generally happens after the file has been copied.
>The problem has no clear correlation with what the server is doing (it's
>even happened in the Finder's idle loop).  The problem never occurs
>when we try to duplicate it :-)
>
>The TOPS folks suggested a software upgrade (which hasn't completely
>solved things).  Beyond that they say they can't duplicate the problem.
>I believe them.  I'm running on the assumption that something in our
>configuration is destabilizing TOPS.

When'd you upgrade?  This was a known problem - the bug is actually in the
Mac II ROM ATP implementation.  The released TOPS II works around it
invisibly.  I keep a folder always published on my Mac II with the current
TOPS Terminal in it, so there are frequent downloads from my Mac II, and it
hasn't crashed since the bug was worked around in mid-November.
--
Tim Maroney, {ihnp4,sun,well,ptsfa,lll-crg}!hoptoad!tim; hoptoad!tim@lll-crg
"You say that this wasn't in your plan