[comp.sys.mac] Hypercharger 68020 Board and added RAM.

martyl@bucket.UUCP (Marty Lee) (12/10/87)

One of the guys at work bought an Apple SE with 1 Meg of RAM
(4 256K SIMMs)
Wanting more performance he also purchased a Hyperchager 68020
upgrade board with 1 Meg of RAM installed.
With the release of HyperCard and Multifinder he quickly found out that
2 MEG of RAM was not enough.  So he ran down to the local APPLE dealer and
had two (2) 256K SIMMs removed and replaced with two (2) 1Meg SIMMs.
His total RAM in the SE box is 3.5M.  After firing up multifinder
he finds that only 2.5Meg of RAM is available, NOT 3.5Meg of RAM!
The Hypercharger user manual says 3.5Meg should be available.
The Hypercharger technical installation manual says 2.5Meg should be available!

Its all because of the 68020 and its need to have 32 bit words.
Mac II owners run into the same problem.  We should have caught it before
it got too far as we were going through the same growing pains with the
Mac II.

SE owners with a 68020 upgrade card beware!  Check with the manufacture for
complete technical details before you spend your hard earned money.  You may
end up paying for 2Meg of RAM and only be able to use 1Meg of it.

kwallich@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Ken Wallich) (12/11/87)

>The Hypercharger user manual says 3.5Meg should be available.
>The Hypercharger technical installation manual says 2.5Meg should be available!

>Its all because of the 68020 and its need to have 32 bit words.
>Mac II owners run into the same problem.
----------
Why should I (a MacII owner) have problems because Hypercharger doesn't
let you access all your memory?  We have a MacII with 8 meg here at work,
and seem to be able to use 8 meg.  My macII at home has 1 meg and I can
use 1 Meg.  I may not be catching something in your explaination of the
problem, but it all seems quite fishy to me.  I am interested in your
growing pains with your MacII, could you elaborate?  I am sure the MacII
owners out there would like to avoid any potential pitfalls we are
unaware of...

BTW:
Isn't a SE + a Hypercharger + extra memory about the same price as a
MacII with a color monitor?  Just wondered why people went that route
(aside from the "the SE is quite portable, the II isn't" argument, I
can QUITE understand that one).

--------------------
Ken Wallich			*My views are mine, and mine alone*
Consultant			"Slimey? Mud Hole? my HOME this is!"
DCI 				kwallich@hpsmtc1.HP.COM
@Hewlett Packard		...hplabs!hpsmtc1!kwallich

"Why am I soft in the middle, when the rest of my life is so hard? - P.Simon"

stew@endor.harvard.edu (Stew Rubenstein) (12/13/87)

In article <11540084@hpsmtc1.HP.COM> kwallich@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Ken Wallich) writes:
>>The Hypercharger user manual says 3.5Meg should be available.
>>The Hypercharger technical installation manual says 2.5Meg should be available!
>
>>Its all because of the 68020 and its need to have 32 bit words.
>>Mac II owners run into the same problem.
>----------
>Why should I (a MacII owner) have problems because Hypercharger doesn't
>let you access all your memory?

Mac II owners do have the same problem, only worse - if you buy only
two SIMMs and plug them into two of the four empty slots, it won't
work.  With the HyperCharger, it will work, but because of the way
memory is divided between the motherboard and the Hypercharger board,
it can't map all of it.  You have to buy four 1Mb SIMMs and plug them
into the Hypercharger board to get 4 Mb of fast 32 bit memory.  Note
that you can order the board with no memory so you can populate it
yourself without throwing away 1Mb of 256K chips.  You still get only
four, not five, Mb, cause the ROM is mapped in the second four Mb of
address space.  In this configuration, it's actually FASTER than a Mac
II because there is only one wait state, compared to two for the Mac
II.  On the other hand, you can't plug a 68851 MMU into a
hypercharger.

>BTW:
>Isn't a SE + a Hypercharger + extra memory about the same price as a
>MacII with a color monitor?

The SE+H020 is cheaper, particularly if you can get one under the GCC
developer discount program.  I don't think it's worth it unless you
already have the SE, though, cause you're gonna someday want color,
and a Mac O/S with decent memory management will require the MMU.

Stew Rubenstein
Cambridge Scientific Computing, Inc.
UUCPnet:    seismo!harvard!rubenstein            CompuServe: 76525,421
Internet:   rubenstein@harvard.harvard.edu       MCIMail:    CSC