[comp.sys.mac] MultiFinder and Sound

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (12/13/87)

In article <6183@drutx.ATT.COM> clive@drutx.ATT.COM (Clive Steward) writes:
>Which brings an interesting point.  One thing that seems to get MF is
>old programs which play sounds.  If I turn that off on these games,
>they seem to work, at least a lot longer before bomb time.

I ran into this when I wrote my Shepard tone program (It really exists, I
really posted it to comp.binaries.mac and to info-mac!) Many programs
use VBL tasks to sequence from note to note. Unfortunately, Multi-finder
turns off ordinary VBL tasks when it suspends an application. This means
the applications stay on one note until you swap them back in. Also, a
second use of the sound system (such as using the Control Panel's volume
control) while sound is going, will hang the system.  Shepard Tones is
smart enough to recognize suspend events, and turn off sound it you
put in background under multi-finder.  I've also written Shepard Tones
version 2.0, that includes the time domain analog of the standard pitch
domain Shepard Tone audio illusion.

There isn't much you can do to someone else's application except write
them, explaining the problem, and get an upgrade.
--- David Phillip Oster            --A Sun 3/60 makes a poor Macintosh II.
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --A Macintosh II makes a poor Sun 3/60.
Uucp: {uwvax,decvax,ihnp4}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu

steele@sneezy.cs.unc.edu (Oliver Steele) (12/13/87)

>Unfortunately, Multi-finder turns off ordinary VBL tasks when it
>suspends an application.

Fortunately, it only does this if you install them in the application
heap.  See technote 180.

Oliver Steele				  ...!{decvax,ihnp4}!mcnc!unc!steele
UNC-CH LING Senior					 steele%unc@mcnc.org

		    "No snappy quote" -- Richard Siegel