[comp.sys.mac] MacServe and MultiFinder

john@csvaxa.UUCP (John Holley) (12/11/87)

I have just been trying to install the new version of the system (Finder 6.0,
System 4.2, MultiFinder 1.0) onto our MacServe network (MacServe 2.3) and
encountered a major problem.

While running under the new Finder things work OK but when I try kick up
MultiFinder my MacServe volume becomes unrecognisable! I presume this is
an incompatibility between MultiFinder and MacServe.

My question is, does anyone know of a solution to my problem, i.e. a new
version of MacServe.

Thanks

John A. Holley           |     ...!uunet!vuwcomp!csvaxa!john : UUCP
Computer Science Dept    |     J.Holley@massey.ac.nz         : Internet
Massey University        |     J.Holley%massey@vuwcomp.nz    : ACSnet
Palmerston North         |     J.Holley@nz.ac.massey         : Janet
New Zealand              |     Disclaimer : Sorry! My brain hurts!

barad@othello.usc.edu (Herb Barad) (12/15/87)

In article <156@csvaxa.UUCP> john@resvax.UUCP (John Holley) writes:
>I have just been trying to install the new version of the system (Finder 6.0,
>System 4.2, MultiFinder 1.0) onto our MacServe network (MacServe 2.3) and
>encountered a major problem.
>
>While running under the new Finder things work OK but when I try kick up
>MultiFinder my MacServe volume becomes unrecognisable! I presume this is
>an incompatibility between MultiFinder and MacServe.

Yes, it still works.  I talked to the Infosphere people and here is
what you do.  It sounds scary, but it works.  First of all, the SIZE
resource on the Backgrounder file must be enlarged to about 16K.
Next, boot the machine and enter the Finder.  Now command-option
double click on MultiFinder (do this without any MacServe volumes
mounted).  You will start coming into MultiFinder and a dialog will
appear asking you to initialize a MacServe volume (you will notice
this has a MacServe icon and not the icon of your hard disk).  Click
"Initialize" - that's right, go ahead and click the "Initialize"
button.  It will come back right away and ask for a name.  It doesn't
matter what you type in, so just hit "Ok" and your hard disk icon will
appear.  Everything will be ok.

Apparently, you are just initializing thin air.  I suppose that
Multifinder thinks that the MacServe driver looks like a volume that
wants to be mounted?!?!?  I don't know why this works, but it does.
The SIZE resource of the Backgrounder file must be enlarged so that
enough stack space is allocated.

This is the procedure that the Infosphere tech people told me.  It
sounds like a real hack.  I hope a newer version will be out soon to
fix this.
Herb Barad	[USC - Signal and Image Processing Institute]
email:	barad@brand.usc.edu	or
	...!sdcrdcf!oberon!brand!barad