[comp.sys.mac] MaBad MacDraw picture I.D,.

ric@islenet.UUCP (Frederick Lee) (12/13/87)

I recently downloaded an Apple Technical Note from the Mac Dev. group on
CompuServe: TN176 MacPlus SIMMS (.5-4 MB), listed as TN0176.DR1.

I assume that this is a MacDraw picture.  But when I try to display it with
MacDraw, I get: "The Document Doesn't Have The Proper I.D." Alert.  An OK
click yields the same alert.  Two duplicate alerts before quiting.

I'm using MacDraw 0.9.4 - 1984 edition...rather old.

The resultant document/drawing icon has been changed to a MacDraw-like icon
but no further development.

Is there a way to edit the 'I.D.'?  I have a sample MacDraw drawing but can't
find its I.D. via Fedit to copy.

...Any suggestions?

I hate to waste this drawing after spending about 30 minutes downloading it.

      - Ric.  {ric@islenet.UUCP}

han@apple.UUCP (Byron Han) (12/15/87)

In article <3693@islenet.UUCP> ric@islenet.UUCP (Frederick Lee) writes:
>I recently downloaded an Apple Technical Note from the Mac Dev. group on
>CompuServe: TN176 MacPlus SIMMS (.5-4 MB), listed as TN0176.DR1.
>
>  [deleted]
>
>I'm using MacDraw 0.9.4 - 1984 edition...rather old.
>
>...Any suggestions?

First of all, you should not be running version 0.9.4.  It is a pre-release
version and is therefore buggy.  The copy you have is (in all probability) not
a legitimate copy.  Please do not use it anymore and destroy it.

The current version of MacDraw is 1.9.5 and may be purchased from your
authorized Apple dealer.  Call 1-800-538-9696 for dealer nearest to you.

Essentially, the problem you are running into is that the MacDraw document
is flagged with a version number.  1.9.5 uses a later document version
than 0.9.4.  Forwards compatibility is not possible due to causality.  :-)

This is not an advertisement for MacDraw and should not be construed as such.

-----
Byron Han - Apple Computer Inc - 20525 Mariani Ave MS 27Y - Cupertino, CA 95014
    "These are my opinions and views only.  Apple has nothing to do with them."
                         ATTNet: 408-973-1940  GENIE: BYRONHAN  APPLELINK: HAN1
                                UUCP: {sun, voder, nsc, mtxinu, dual}!apple!han