[comp.sys.mac] What to do with 256Kbit SIMMs?

peter@aucs.UUCP (12/02/87)

For sale: 2 256Kbit SIMMs in good working order (and one slightly
          used resistor :-})

Yes, I did it. I upgraded my SE to 2.5Megs. Now I am wondering
what to do with the old SIMMs. Does Apple have any interest in
buying these back? Does anybody know who might want to buy them?
After all, they're perfectly good SIMMs. They must be good for
something?

Peter Steele Acadia Univ. Wolfville NS Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121
UUCP:{uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}dalcs!aucs!Peter BITNET:Peter@Acadia

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (12/04/87)

In article <610@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>Yes, I did it. I upgraded my SE to 2.5Megs. Now I am wondering
>what to do with the old SIMMs. Does Apple have any interest in
>buying these back? Does anybody know who might want to buy them?
>After all, they're perfectly good SIMMs. They must be good for
>something?

I sold my 2 256K SIMMs to a fellow with a Mac II -- he's putting them in his
spare memory slots.  Didn't get much for them ($40); besides, he's a friend.

            "Time is money and money can't buy you love and I love your outfit"

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

cs162fed@sdcc18.UUCP (12/05/87)

In article <2421@sputnik.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>In article <610@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>>Now I am wondering what to do with the old SIMMs.
>I sold my 2 256K SIMMs to a fellow with a Mac II -- he's putting them in his
>spare memory slots.  Didn't get much for them ($40); besides, he's a friend.

To fill up the empty slots in my OnePlusOne board (Levco's 1->2 Meg expansion
board for the Plus) I plugged in 2 256Kers (and cut two jumpers), bringing
my machine to 2.5 Megs.

I bartered away about $35 worth of goods to a friend for the 256K SIMMs.

Grobbins.

stew@endor.UUCP (12/05/87)

In article <2421@sputnik.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>I sold my 2 256K SIMMs to a fellow with a Mac II -- he's putting them in his
>spare memory slots.  Didn't get much for them ($40); besides, he's a friend.

Your friend will be unpleasantly surprised to find that adding two
SIMMs to a Mac II doesn't work.  I hope he doesn't damage the machine
or the SIMMs.

Once again: The Mac II is a 32 bit machine.  We must add memory in
32-bit-wide chunks.  Each SIMM is eight bits wide.  Therefore, we must
add four at a time.

Stew Rubenstein
Cambridge Scientific Computing, Inc.
UUCPnet:    seismo!harvard!rubenstein            CompuServe: 76525,421
Internet:   rubenstein@harvard.harvard.edu       MCIMail:    CSC

dwb@apple.UUCP (12/08/87)

In article <2421@sputnik.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>In article <610@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>>Yes, I did it. I upgraded my SE to 2.5Megs. Now I am wondering
>>what to do with the old SIMMs. Does Apple have any interest in
>>buying these back? Does anybody know who might want to buy them?
>>After all, they're perfectly good SIMMs. They must be good for
>>something?
>
>I sold my 2 256K SIMMs to a fellow with a Mac II -- he's putting them in his
>spare memory slots.  Didn't get much for them ($40); besides, he's a friend.
	Hope he got two more somewhere else, otherwise the two you
sold him are useless.  Once again, memory goes into the SE and Plus in
pairs, but into the Mac II in 4's.

	If he needs two more, have him give me a call.  I upgraded
my SE to 2.5 meg and have these spare SIMMS see...

--
	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.uucp                   dwb@Delphi

edwards@bgsuvax.UUCP (Bruce Edwards) (12/11/87)

Has anyone out there seen any hardware articles onn using the 256 SIMMs
and a little PC board of artful design to upgrade the 128K or 512K
Macs with additional memory. I remember Dr. Dobbs a long time ago
had an article or two on upgrading the thin Macs to 512K could that
circuit be modified to use the 256K SIMMs or are they real exotic
when it comes to addressing or something equally bizarre?

Particularly I would like to take a 128K Mac and 2 x 256K SIMMs and
end up with a 512K (plain vanilla) Mac (E in 512E not necessary).

Thanks

      'These are only the shadowlands.' C.S. Lewis
        Ken Jenkins as guest @

        CSNET: edwards@bgsu
      ARPANET: edwards%bgsu@csnet-relay
         UUCP: cbosgd!osu-cis!bgsuvax!edwards

      US Mail:
	c/o Century Marketing Corp.
            12836 S. Dixie Hwy.
            Bowling Green , OH 43402

        Phone:
            In Ohio 1-800-821-5409
        Out of Ohio 1-800-537-9429
                 or 1-419-354-2591

waltervj@dartvax.UUCP (walter jeffries) (12/11/87)

In article <6924@apple.UUCP> dwb@apple.UUCP (David W. Berry) writes:
>In article <2421@sputnik.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>>In article <610@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>>>Yes, I did it. I upgraded my SE to 2.5Megs. Now I am wondering
>>>what to do with the old SIMMs. Does Apple have any interest in
>>
>>I sold my 2 256K SIMMs to a fellow with a Mac II -- he's putting them in his
>
>	If he needs two more, have him give me a call.  I upgraded

Hmm... what a shame, all those pretty little simms out there going to waste.
I know, everybody send me your useless sims and I'll make a collage!
Hey! Wow! What a great Idear!

stevel@dartvax.UUCP (Steve Ligett) (12/15/87)

If you have a friend with a IIGS, they could use the SIMMs
(a trademark of Wang Laboratories) if they buy the OCTORAM
card.
--
   Steve Ligett     steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or
(decvax harvard ihnp4 linus)!dartvax!steve.ligett