[comp.sys.mac] how to bind a menu selection to a keystroke?

jack@cs.hw.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (12/02/87)

Specifically, what I want to do is make font selections in WriteNow
without using the mouse. I believe Tempo will do that, but it may be
more than I need. Is there a cheaper/simpler route?

- jack

--
ARPA: jack%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
JANET:jack@uk.ac.glasgow.cs       USENET: ...mcvax!ukc!cs.glasgow.ac.uk!jack

dowdy@apple.UUCP (Tom Dowdy) (12/16/87)

In article <1555@brahma.cs.hw.ac.uk> jack@cs.hw.ac.uk (Jack Campin) writes:
>Specifically, what I want to do is make font selections in WriteNow
>without using the mouse. I believe Tempo will do that, but it may be
>more than I need. Is there a cheaper/simpler route?

I won't say that this will work in WriteNow, but a while back a really
nice hack was discovered for doing this with MacWrite.  I believe WriteNow
builds its FONT menu the same way, so this *should* work there as well.

Since some on the net here might not know about this, I'll say how to
do this again.

(This assumes the reader is familiar with editing menus with ResEdit)

Simply go into the program with ResEdit and add to the Font menu
items with the names of the fonts that you wish to be able to select
by keyboard.  Be sure to spell them the same (you may also wish to
make them bold or something so that you can tell the difference between
those you add and those that get put in by the application).  Add whatever
keyboard equivalent you would like.

What happens in MacWrite when you make a selection from the menu is that
it reads the name of the font you selected and then uses that.  MacWrite
doesn't know that some of the font names *you* added and some of them
*it* added, so those you added work great.

If WriteNow does things along a similar vein, this method will work.

Of course, it goes without saying that you should only do this on a
Backup copy of your program and not the original.   Whenever you play
with ResEdit you need to be careful.

  Tom Dowdy                 CSNET:    dowdy@apple.CSNET
  Apple Computer MS:27Y     AppleLink:DOWDY1
  20525 Mariani Ave         UUCP:     {sun,voder,amdahl,decwrl}!apple!dowdy
  Cupertino, CA 95014
  "The 'Oo-Ah' Bird is so called because it lays square eggs."