[comp.sys.mac] RR 10.3 YMODEM Problems

stephens@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Greg Stephens) (12/11/87)

I xfer files between my Mac and a PC on a regular basis and would
like to use YMODEM since it will accept a large number of files,
xfer the name of the file, and use 1k block sizes.  I have large
numbers of files and want to xfer them without user intervention.

I use both MIRROR and PROCOMM on the PC side.  Both support YMODEM
(MIRROR also supports XTALK but I know of no Mac program that supports
XTALK) but I continue to have problems with RR 10.3 YMODEM transfer.

Anyone have experience using RR YMODEM to a PC?

Tim_Sam_Carson@cup.portal.com (12/15/87)

I woule like to know of anyones success in tranfering multiple
text-only files from an IBM/PC to a Mac.  I have approximately
500 files to tranfer and I'm not looking forward to doing them
one-at-a-time.  I tried using Red Ryder 9.4's Kermit protocol
in multi file mode, but it puts all the individual files from the
PC into one massave file on the Mac, not too helpful. Does anyone
know of a Mac program that WORKS with YModems filename tranfer system?.
Thanx in advanced................T.C.

perkins@acf8.UUCP (Mark E. Perkins) (12/16/87)

I have done that kind of massive download using RR with a procedure
written for that purpose.  I don't have the procedure code available
at the moment, but it works something like the following:

	1)  Connect to the remote machine (PC in this case).
	2)  Generate a file (or do it ahead of time) on the remote
	    which contains a list of files to be downloaded.
	3)  Download the list file.
	4)  Open the list file.
	5)  Read a line (file name).
	6)  Generate the approriate command on the remote
	    machine to begin the download.
	7)  Tell RR to accept the file.
	8)  Wait for download to finish.
	9)  Repeat 5-8 until all files have been downloaded.

I've sued thsi method successfully for Xmodem and Kermit transfers.
I can get the procedure code to you by e-mail, if you like.

	Mark Perkins		CALM DOWN!  It's only ones and zeros.

Internet:  mark@vml.psych.nyu.edu	(that's VEE-EM-ELL)
Usenet:    {seismo|ihnp4|allegra}!cmcl2!vml!mark
US Mail:   Department of Psychology, NYU
	   6 Washington Place, room 970
	   New York, NY 10003
Phone:	   (212) 998-7861
From: Anonymous@acf8.UUCP (Anonymous Author)
Date: 15-Dec-87 14:44 EST
Subject: Re: stonewall riots
Newsgroups: soc.motss

(really from Alan Shaw (alan@alaya.nyu.edu):
I won't answer the poster's question because I'm sure others will,
and I'd surely get the details wrong.  But I wanted to note that
the site of the Stonewall riot, the Stonewall Inn bar on
Christopher St., which was for many years until recently the
Bagel And restaurant, is now a fancy shmancy clothing store.
Name?  STONEWALL.

barad@othello.usc.edu (Herb Barad) (12/16/87)

In article <2004@cup.portal.com> Tim_Sam_Carson@cup.portal.com writes:
>I woule like to know of anyones success in tranfering multiple
>text-only files from an IBM/PC to a Mac.  I have approximately
>500 files to tranfer and I'm not looking forward to doing them
>one-at-a-time.  I tried using Red Ryder 9.4's Kermit protocol
>in multi file mode, but it puts all the individual files from the
>PC into one massave file on the Mac, not too helpful. Does anyone
>know of a Mac program that WORKS with YModems filename tranfer system?.
>Thanx in advanced................T.C.

I have been able to transfer files to and from a vax using YMODEM.
The unix programs I'm using are called rz and sz (they actually
support ZMODEM as well).  I did have a little problems under RR 10.0,
but they have been fixed under RR 10.3.  It even works great under
Multifinder.

Herb Barad	[USC - Signal and Image Processing Institute]
email:	barad@brand.usc.edu	or
	...!sdcrdcf!oberon!brand!barad