[comp.sys.mac] imagewriter spooler

neil@dsl.cis.upenn.edu (Neil Radisch) (12/11/87)

Does a imagewriter driver for the mac exist that supports spooling
and background printing. If so where can I get it.

| "Better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove |
|  all doubt" --- Abraham Lincoln                                            |
|  neil@dsl.cis.upenn.edu.UUCP                                               |

smh@mhuxu.UUCP (S. M. Henning) (12/13/87)

In article <2784@super.upenn.edu>, (Neil Radisch) writes:
> Does a imagewriter driver for the mac exist that supports spooling
> and background printing. If so where can I get it.

Yes, MacServe version 2.1 does this.  I have been using it for over
a year with fantastic results.   There are several problems, when
I use VersaTerm-PRO I must never unselect the Imagewriter but can
shut the Imagewriter or Imagewriter II off and then on.  If I
unselect and the select the Imagewriter using the switch on the
Imagewriter, MacServe seems to be unable to find the printer again.

****                                                                 ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA mhuxu!smh

kck@wdl1.UUCP (Karl C. Kelley) (12/15/87)

I am one of those who has/had a perfectly ordinary and acceptable spooler
for the Mac and Imagewriter, it is/was put out by the same people who did
SuperLaser Spool.  The problem is, when you go to multifinder, you lose that
capability.  I find this rather incongrous, since one would think that with
multifinder it should be trivial to make a program to do the job.  Indeed,
multifinder comes with something that does the job for laserwriters.  It is
a full sweep for Apple's kindness in giving us something "free"....they
effectively knock the feet out from under the vendor of Superlaserspool, yet
don't go far enough to solve the problem entirely.  At the A32 club meeting
in November, a large number of people were similarly disgruntled at having
spooling taken away by multifinder.  The multifinder is handy enough that
my choice is to do without spooling for a few more weeks in hopes that some
enterprising soul will remedy the situation.  I hope to read about it here.

The vendor is SuperMac.  My local sources tell me they are working on an
upgrade for the Imagewriter Spooler.  I actually hope they also fix their
SuperLaser Spooler, since it seems to have a little more than the Apple freebie.

cs162fed@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU (Grobbins) (12/16/87)

In article <4210010@wdl1.UUCP> kck@wdl1.UUCP (Karl C. Kelley) writes:
>I am one of those who has/had a perfectly ordinary and acceptable spooler
>for the Mac and Imagewriter, it is/was put out by the same people who did
>SuperLaser Spool.  The problem is, when you go to multifinder, you lose that
>capability.

Surprising.  I've been running SuperSpool 4.0 without trouble under
MultiFinder 1.0 for months.  The only problem I found was configuring it
to start MultiFinder after loading, since SuperSpool will only chain
to an application, not (as MF is) a system file.

My solution to that problem was:  1. Use Set Startup in the
Finder to make SuperSpool the startup application,
but NOT under MultiFinder.  2. Move an application --
any application -- into the System folder and name it
MultiFindex  3. Run SuperSpool (or reboot), click on the
SuperSpool screen when it comes up, and change the chained
application to MultiFindex.  4. Later, with a byte-editing
utility (I used Fedit+) search for the ASCII string
MultiFindex in the SuperSpool file, and change it to
MultiFinder. (Actually, the chain file name may be in
some easy-to-edit resource, but I neglected to check
ResEdit.)

Pretty straightforward, and has worked ignorably well since.

Grobbins     grobbins%sdemlab@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
	     ..ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdemlab!grobbins