[comp.sys.mac] uw/Multifinder?

dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu.UUCP (12/07/87)

I can't get uw to work under Multifinder.  Works just fine without MF
being active, but with MF going, it doesn't even get its menus put up.

I have an SE, and am running the latest system software (obviously).
I'm using uw version 4.1.

Is anybody successfully using uw under Multifinder?
----
Internet: dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu  UUCP: ihnp4!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 333-3339

deragon@acf8.UUCP (John Paul Deragon) (12/08/87)

/* acf8:comp.sys.mac / dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu /  5:23 pm  Dec  6, 1987 */

I can't get uw to work under Multifinder.  Works just fine without MF
being active, but with MF going, it doesn't even get its menus put up.

I have an SE, and am running the latest system software (obviously).
I'm using uw version 4.1.

Is anybody successfully using uw under Multifinder?
----
Internet: dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu  UUCP: ihnp4!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 333-3339

  Where can I obtain a copy of uw??

    John Deragon
    NYU Robotics Lab
    deragon@acf8.nyu.edu
    /* ---------- */

alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) (12/08/87)

all this talk about UW! has anyone seen it? did it go around
the world already, missing only my site?

seriously, is UW available on the net?

-alan@metasoft.uucp

*** No Disclaimers To Speak Of ***

shb@ivax.doc.ic.ac.uk (Simon Brock) (12/09/87)

In article <174400085@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I can't get uw to work under Multifinder.  ...
>I have an SE, and am running the latest system software (obviously).
>I'm using uw version 4.1.
>
>Is anybody successfully using uw under Multifinder?
Yes.  I'm using uw4.1 on an SE with System 4.1/Finder 6.0 and a beta version
of MF (1.0b6).  (As an aside, we can't get System Tools 5.0 in the UK until
early next year, unless you know different to me !)

UW runs but I do character losses at 9600 baud.  I can't work out why, and
I'm not convinced its UW's fault.  I wrote to John Bruner, the author, who
says other people were reporting the same problem.

				Simon.

Simon H Brock, Dept. of Computing, Imperial College, London SW7 2AZ
Tel	: 01 589 5111 x4993
BitNet	: shb@doc.ic.ac.uk (or shb%uk.ac.ic.doc@AC.UK)
UUCP	: shb@icdoc.uucp (...siesmo!mcvax!ukc!icdoc!shb)
JANET	: shb@uk.ac.ic.doc

dudek@utai.UUCP (Gregory Dudek) (12/11/87)

    I can't get uw to work under MF 1.0 either, but it worked
just fine under Juggler 1.0b2.  If your problem is the same
as mine, the menus don't appear & many (most) characters just
print as blanks.
    An interim fix is go back to Juggler, if you can stand the
instability.
    Greg Dudek
--
Dept. of Computer Science (vision group)    University of Toronto
Usenet:	{linus, ihnp4, allegra, decvax, floyd}!utcsri!dudek

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (12/13/87)

STOP IT!  If you're going to toss meaningless acronyms around the net,
please be kind enough to tell us what they mean.  What does "uw" mean?

Don Gillies {ihnp4!uiucdcs!gillies} U of Illinois
            {gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu}

dudek@utai.UUCP (Gregory Dudek) (12/15/87)

In article <76000067@uiucdcsp> gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>STOP IT!  If you're going to toss meaningless acronyms around the net,
>please be kind enough to tell us what they mean.  What does "uw" mean?

    UW is a multi-window terminal emulator package written by
John Brun(n?)er.  It has appeared on the net several times.  It
has to have a server running on the UNIX end as well as a special Mac
program.
    If anybody *really* needs a multi-finder compatible uw, I have
a pretty crude home-made one I could probablymail out.

    As for people whining and casting aspersions
because they don't happen to know what some term means, a curteous
plea for a definition is usually a lot more likely to get a useful
result than just carping is (although the latter seems to
have gotten the job done in this case, I guess).

jdb@mordor.s1.gov (John Bruner) (12/16/87)

UW isn't an acronym, it's a name.  UW is a multiple-window terminal
interface to (BSD) UNIX.

The most recently distributed version is v4.1, but -- as people have
said --  it doesn't work under Multifinder.  I was surprised by this
because it did work under Multifinder 1.0b6, and I was quite
embarrassed to discover that it doesn't work because it lacks a
call to "InitFonts".  This error appears to have been there since
the earliest versions (to my great chagrin).

I do not know why UW seems to lose output at 9600 baud.  I am
still trying to reproduce this problem so that I can track it down.

I have been working on other things and letting UW slide, but I
will endeavour to distribute a maintenance release (probably v4.2)
in January which will be Multifinder-compatible and will (I hope)
perform flow control properly again.  I have plans for one more
significant set of revisions, but the close relationship between
the host and client software makes it more difficult for me to
test and debug new code than a Mac-only program would be.  Hence,
the more significant changes are still on hold....
--
  John Bruner (S-1 Project, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
  jdb@mordor.s1.gov	...!seismo!mordor!jdb		(415) 423-4848

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (12/17/87)

I didn't really mean to sound malicious or bent out of shape.  Perhaps
mildly irritated and flaming about it best describes my message.  Next
time I will try to be a little more courteous -- I wasn't attacking
any *person* in particular.

So: Please try to define unidentifiable acronyms when you send
questions to the net.  Otherwise, we sometimes can't even identify if
you're talking about a piece of hardware, or a piece of software.
Thank you very much.