[comp.sys.mac] Finder 5.5 Mystery

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (12/12/87)

I just noticed that Finder 5.5 has a "Put Away" menu item under its
"File" menu.  Does anyone know what it's used for?

	-Ted

jcc@ut-emx.UUCP (Chris Cooley) (12/15/87)

In article <870071@hpcilzb.HP.COM>, tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:

> I just noticed that Finder 5.5 has a "Put Away" menu item under its
> "File" menu.  Does anyone know what it's used for?
>
> 	-Ted

The DA "FindFile" that is on current system updates has an option to move
found files to the desktop.  Once this happens, the "Put Away" menu item
is activated.  Selecting the desktopped file and then "Put Away" will move
it back to its previous place.

I've played with this and, if I'm not mistaken, manually opening folders
and dragging the file to desktop will also allow you to use "Put Away"
to put it back where it came from.

					--chris

perkins@acf8.UUCP (Mark E. Perkins) (12/15/87)

I'm not sure, but I think "Put Away" has made a reappearance.
My recollection is that it was part of the early (1.1g???)
Finder, and for some reason was removed.  It allows one to move
files out of folders and then return them to their proper home
without re-opening all of the folders in between.

	Mark Perkins		CALM DOWN!  It's only ones and zeros

Internet:  mark@vml.psych.nyu.edu	(that's VEE-EM-ELL)
Usenet:    {seismo|ihnp4|allegra}!cmcl2!vml!mark
US Mail:   Department of Psychology, NYU
	   6 Washington Place, room 970
	   New York, NY 10003
Phone:	   (212) 998-7861
From: perkins@acf8.UUCP (Mark E. Perkins)
Date: 15-Dec-87 09:34 EST
Subject: Problem with Macify 2.5
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac

I downloaded Macify 2.5 last night.  When I run it, all seems well
until I exit.  Once back to the desktop, it seems that double clicks
are not recognized.  As near as I can tell, nothing in parameter
RAM has been futzed with since a re-boot returns things to normal.
So into the trash it goes....  Anybody else have this problem?

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) (12/16/87)

>what is the Put Away option on the file menu?

Well if you use something like the DA find file and click on a file name it
returns after it finishes searching you can move the file to the Desktop
do what you want with it and then use Put Away under the File Menu will put
the file back where it came from (ie buried back down somewhere deep in
your HFS file structure).

David L. Williams
dlw@hpda
Hewlett Packard, Cupertino Ca
Software Development Technology Laboratory
"Sinanju, buddy -- the real stuff"

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (12/17/87)

"Put Away" is described in my Mac II manual (The documention for
finder 5.5).  To use it,

(1) Select some items on the desktop
(2) Select "put away" from the menu.  These items will be moved back
into the folders they most recently occupied.

Thus, you can open a bunch of folders and move a bunch of junk to the
desktop, and at the end of your session you can select everything and
use "Put Away" to automatically clean everything up.

Don Gillies {ihnp4!uiucdcs!gillies} U of Illinois
            {gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu}