[comp.sys.mac] DiskTop 3.01's FIND bombs under MultiFinder

kwallich@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Ken Wallich) (12/09/87)

-----
>I tried contacting CE Software to find out if they knew anything, but
>they (politely) told me that I was out of my mind and that DiskTop
>worked fine under MF.
----------
Well, you are out of your mind :-)!
Interesting problem, I have been using DiskTop for a couple weeks under
MultiFinder, and have had no problems at all.  Disktools II won't do a
Launch under multifinder, but DiskTop is running like a top for me.
I'm running a MacII with 1mb (:-<), Suitcase, Quickkeys, and a startup,
and shutdown sound init set, wanna E-Mail me your particulars, and I
will try to reproduce it.  (I also have a 512Ke that works ok with this
stuff too!).

Happy debugging...

--------------------
Ken Wallich			*My views are mine, and mine alone*
Consultant			"Slimey? Mud Hole? my HOME this is!"
DCI 				kwallich@hpsmtc1.HP.COM
@Hewlett Packard		...hplabs!hpsmtc1!kwallich

"Why am I soft in the middle, when the rest of my life is so hard? - P.Simon"

eacj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Julian Vrieslander) (12/10/87)

In article <11540073@hpsmtc1.HP.COM> kwallich@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Ken Wallich) writes:
>-----
>>I tried contacting CE Software to find out if they knew anything, but
>>they (politely) told me that I was out of my mind and that DiskTop
>>worked fine under MF.
>----------
>Well, you are out of your mind :-)!
>Interesting problem, I have been using DiskTop for a couple weeks under
>MultiFinder, and have had no problems at all.

Uh oh, I guess that means I'm ready for the loony bin, also.  I've also
seen problems with DiskTop 3.0.1 under MultiFinder.  Try this:  open up folders
on the desktop until you can see the icon of a document for which you want to
edit the Finder attributes (say, creator type).  Open DiskTop, and change
your file's creator type from the GetInfo dialog.  Close DiskTop.  When I do
this I get a frozen cursor, and after rebooting, the file creator type has
not been changed.  I have gotten the attribute editing to work when the file
being worked on does not appear on the desk top.
--
Julian Vrieslander    (607) 255-3594
Neurobiology & Behavior, W250 Mudd Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853

jeffp@phred.UUCP (Jeff Parke) (12/11/87)

I beleive the latest MacWeek makes reference to DiskTop's problems with
multifinder; it does seem to be real.
--
uiucuxc!tikal!phred!jeffp {Jeff Parke}
Genie  : JEFFP

gross@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Evan Gross [Sys Des]) (12/17/87)

We are readying a new release of DiskTools II that fixes up
any MultiFinder strangeness and adds the capability to
launch applications and documents (without having to
tell DiskTools what app. to open) under MultiFinder.
There are some other new features as well, and
one of them is the ability to include the *real*
icons in the file info dialog (a useful and nice touch).

The upgrade will  be going to QA this Friday, and should
be real a week later. How soon Electronic Arts will have
copies ready after that is only a guess - probably 3-4
weeks (maybe less if you're persistent).

The upgrade is available to DiskTools Plus 1.0 owners
for shipping charges only ($7.50 or something, contact
EA Customer Service at 415-572-2787 for details).

Evan Gross