[comp.sys.mac] Hypercard User Interface

hugo@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Su) (12/10/87)

I don't really think that the "non-standard" parts of the HC user interface
are a big problem.  I think the big problem is the parts that Atkinson left
out.  To wit:

1) Multiple windows
2) Better support for the Laserwriter.
3) Drawing tools vs. painting tools.

Pete

--
CSNET: hugo@darmouth.edu                  UUCP: hugo@dartvax.UUCP (Sorry)
ARPA: hugo%dartmouth.edu@relay.cs.net

QUOTE:"Hi, hi hi hi hi hi...yo! Hi, Hi hi hi hi hiiii, hiiii" - Talking Heads

steele@sigma.cs.unc.edu (Oliver Steele) (12/11/87)

hugo@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Su) writes:
>I don't really think that the "non-standard" parts of the HC user interface
>are a big problem.  I think the big problem is the parts that Atkinson left
>out.  To wit:
>
>1) Multiple windows
>2) Better support for the Laserwriter.
>3) Drawing tools vs. painting tools.

4) Slow movement from one stack to another.
This causes input stuttering (the user clicks on a button in the home card,
gets no immediate visual response, and clicks again).  Combined with the fact
that the double-click is already a valid virtual button on the mac, you've
conditioned the user to double-click on HC buttons (Skinner would be proud!),
and foo then has to outgrow this conditioning.  Of the ~10 people I've watched
start learning HC, this has been universal.

kurtzman@pollux.usc.edu (Stephen Kurtzman) (12/12/87)

In article <7729@dartvax.UUCP> hugo@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Su) writes:
>I don't really think that the "non-standard" parts of the HC user interface
>are a big problem.  I think the big problem is the parts that Atkinson left
>out.  To wit:
>
>1) Multiple windows
>2) Better support for the Laserwriter.
>3) Drawing tools vs. painting tools.

I also don't see the non-standard interface as a big problem. I would like
to add to the list of things left out though:

4) Multiple open stacks
5) Sort on multiple fields (The sort routine is stable so sequential
sorts do the job. The problem here is speed. Doing two sorts in a row
isn't that bad, but I have one stack that I occasionally sort on 8
different fields -- at least it gives me time for a coffee break. Really,
this is a minor irritation.)
6) A compiled (i.e. non-interpretted) option for scripts. This would give
faster execution (especially for numeric processing).
7) A find command that would discriminate between cards of different
backgrounds, e.g. find "foo" in field 1 on background 2. Currently, for
heterogeneous stacks one must put the "find" in a loop. This slows down
processing significantly -- it seems on the order of a second for each
find on the wrong background type. Again this is a minor irritation, but
eliminating would be nice.

dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (12/18/87)

>I don't really think that the "non-standard" parts of the HC user interface
>are a big problem.  I think the big problem is the parts that Atkinson left
>out.  To wit:

I'd like to add to the list of missing HC features:

Find BACKWARDS.

I wrote a stack to manage my checkbook.  I often want to search from the END
of the stack to find the LAST occurrence of something.  Unfortunately, I cannot.
While I can write a script to do this, it's SLOW.  Find is fast.
----
Internet: dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu  UUCP: ihnp4!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 333-3339