[comp.sys.mac] IBM_to_Macintosh

Tim_Sam_Carson@cup.portal.com (12/16/87)

Has anyone out there ever had any luck using any multi-file
tranfer protocols on a Mac?  I have a major problem on my hands,
I have to transfer 500+ text-only files from my IBM/PC/XT to my Mac SE
and, so far, nothing works properly. I can get XModem to work, but the
Mac asks me for a file name for each file. I also got Kermit to work,
but it trys to fit all the IBM files into one file on the Mac.
  Anyone have any suggestions??...Thanx  T.C.

cm450s02@uhccux.UUCP (Jeff T. Segawa) (12/17/87)

In article <2020@cup.portal.com> Tim_Sam_Carson@cup.portal.com writes:
>Has anyone out there ever had any luck using any multi-file
>tranfer protocols on a Mac?

I would've suggested Red Ryder 10.3's YModem batch file capability,
but it doesn't always seem to work. When it does, it's wonderful,
though. Have you considered ARC-ing those files on the IBM, then
transferring the packed file over to the Mac, and Un-ARCing it
there with MacARC? That should work just fine, though still not
quite as easy as telling the IBM to send all files (*.*) to the
Mac.

stephens@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Greg Stephens) (12/18/87)

I have tried several combinations of programs to perform multi-file xfers
between PCs and the Mac.

First, Red Ryder 10.3, says that it supports YMODEM.  I have never gotten
Red Ryder's YMODEM to work with any PC based emulator that supports YMODEM.

However, MicroPhone 1.1 YMODEM does work with multiple files at least
when you are sending from the PC to the Mac.  I have not tried sending
multi-files from the Mac to the PC though.  Another nice thing about
MicroPhone is that it supports up to 56kbaud which helps if you have the
PC and Mac direct connected.

On the PC side of things I have used ProComm and Mirror (the crosstalk
clone).  Both of their YMODEMs work with MicroPhone.  Procomm, however,
only goes up to 19.2kb so I would use Mirror or Crosstalk if you are
direct connected.

If you get YMODEM from Mac to PC working with multi-files let me know
how it works.