[comp.sys.mac] Other INIT problems

dean@aoa.UUCP (Dean Wormell) (12/18/87)

In article <2250@dasys1.UUCP> raylau@dasys1.UUCP (Raymond Lau) writes:

>It has also been mentioned that many INITs incl. shift sequences to abort
>want loaded as many use the same sequence (shift).

One "feature" I've discovered with boot time key sequences is that they
are not necessarly exclusive or independant of the desired effect one wishes
to achieve.

For example:

You can hold down the command key at boot time to ignore Multifinder and come
up only in the Finder (this is if your machine normally boots with
Multifinder).

You can also hold down the shift key during the startup message to disable
Suitcase.  And as Raymond points out, this sequence also happens to disable
pop keys (an undesired effect for me).

But, when you want to startup in the Finder only (command key sequence) and
also ignore Suitcase (shift key during startup message), the command key
sequence is ignored and you come up in Multifinder with Suitcase disabled.
Achieving only half of the desired effect.

Now, I either have to know how I'm going to use my Mac the next day before
I shutdown at night, or reconfigure (set startup, move things in/out of the
startup folder) and reboot.  Lot's o' messin' around just to change your
operatin' configuration.  Sigh!

--

		Dean Wormell

			...!{harvard,ima}!bbn!aoa!dean