[comp.sys.mac] ML compiler for MacIntosh????

mikael@sm.luth.se (Mikael Eriksson) (12/15/87)

I read a rumor in a swedish computer magazine (Industriell
Datateknik) about a coming ml compiler for MacIntosh.
The rumor said that the programs minimum demand for memory
was two Megabytes.
Does anyone know if there is any substance in this rumor
and the price, availability and publisher of the compiler?

Mikael Eriksson  (mikael@sm.luth.se)  or  ...enea!sm.luth.se!mikael
.........	From the US         ..!uunet!enea!sm.luth.se!mikael

--
Mikael Eriksson  (mikael@sm.luth.se)  or  ...enea!sm.luth.se!mikael
.........	From the US         ..!uunet!enea!sm.luth.se!mikael
A value is just a bit pattern and its type is whatever the
programmer wants it to be.

csnjr@its63b.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (12/18/87)

In article <906@luth.luth.se> Mikael Eriksson <mikael@luth.luth.se> writes:
>>I read a rumor in a swedish computer magazine (Industriell
>Datateknik) about a coming ml compiler for MacIntosh.
>The rumor said that the programs minimum demand for memory
>was two Megabytes.
>Does anyone know if there is any substance in this rumor
>and the price, availability and publisher of the compiler?

Fascinating. We had our ML system (Edinburgh ML, with the FAM interpreter)
going on a Macintosh a while back, and would again if somebody had time to
devote to it. I've often quoted the memory requirements for our system to
be 2MBytes, since you can just about get the compacting garbage collector
going and do some useful work.
   I'm inclined to disbelieve claims of new ML systems from third party
vendors, since a lot of the technology (type discipline, module inheritance,
sharing, realisation maps, etc. etc.) is pretty recent and would, I expect,
take time to promulgate. This is true of Standard ML + modules, polymorphic
references, exceptions - a simpler ML system with just the core language and
monotyped references is perhaps another matter.
   If anybody hears anything more, please post!
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick%lfcs.ed.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk