[comp.sys.mac] Dbase III files and 4D

beloin@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Ron Beloin) (12/10/87)

Some folks here are trying to choose between dBase Mac and Fourth dimension
for relational db work. One consideration is being able to read dbase III
files. We've heard that 4D is faster and there is a utility to convert
file formats from dbase III to 4D. Anyone have any details or comments?
I would appreciate any suggestions, experiences, rumors, etc.
--ron.
 Ron Beloin, Ecosystems Research Center, Corson Hall, Cornell, Ithaca,NY 14853

espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) (12/12/87)

In article <3135@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, beloin@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Ron Beloin) writes:
> Some folks here are trying to choose between dBase Mac and Fourth dimension
> for relational db work. One consideration is being able to read dbase III
> files. We've heard that 4D is faster and there is a utility to convert
> file formats from dbase III to 4D. Anyone have any details or comments?
> I would appreciate any suggestions, experiences, rumors, etc.
> --ron.
>  Ron Beloin, Ecosystems Research Center, Corson Hall, Cornell, Ithaca,NY 14853
>  >> opinions << BITNET:BELOIN@CRNLTHRY; INTERNET:beloin@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
>  >> are mine << UUCP:{cmcl2,shasta,uw-beaver,rochester}!cornell!tcgould!beloin

	We are looking into the same thing at my company. From what I have
found out so far, 4D (like most of the pro database progs for the Mac) allows
for importing data from other programs if they are in ASCII, SYLK,etc. but it
does not allow importing DBASE III files automatically. The conversion process
needed to import data seems rather awkward. DBASE Mac seems to have the most
sophisticated built in mechanisms for automatically reading othe database progs
data files (i.e. IBM Dbase files, Omnis, etc. ).
	I am certainly not an authority on this subject, but I believe that
what I have stated here is correct. Anyone out there can let us know if I'm
incorrect.
	espen@well

shane@pepe.cc.umich.edu (Shane Looker) (12/14/87)

In article <4714@well.UUCP> espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) writes:
[...]
:	espen@well

I have seen a piece of paper with information on importing dBase III files into
4th Dimension.  I didn't read it but it can be done.  I'll try to find out
where it came from.

Shane Looker                       |  "He's dead Jim,
shane@pepe.cc.umich.edu            |     you grab his tricorder,
uunet!umix!pepe.cc.umich.edu!shane |     I'll get his wallet."
Looker@um.cc.umich.edu

cy@ashtate.UUCP (Cy Shuster) (12/18/87)

dBASE Mac has the ability to read and write dBASE II and III files in place,
i.e. once you have hardware access to the files, the necessary dBASE Mac
structure definition is built automatically from the dBASE III internal
definition, and the dBASE III file can then be read and updated right where
it sits.

The advantage of direct access over importing is, of course, that importing
implies copying, and therefore making the data out of sync with the original.
With a TOPS or other network where Macs and PCs can both access the same
files, existing dBASE III applications can continue to update a database,
while new applications can be developed as dBASE Mac projects against the
same files. And since relations are built by key field values, one-way
relations can be built from dBASE Mac files to dBASE III files, in place.

For further information, contact Customer Service at (213)
329-8000 (this is not an ad!). (And Dennis, correct me if I left anything
out!)

--Cy Shuster--  UUCP: ...scgvaxd!ashtate!cy   CIS: 74166,2027

drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (12/18/87)

In article <390@ashtate.UUCP>, cy@ashtate.UUCP (Cy Shuster) writes:
> dBASE Mac has the ability to read and write dBASE II and III files in place,
> i.e. once you have hardware access to the files, the necessary dBASE Mac
> structure definition is built automatically from the dBASE III internal
> definition, and the dBASE III file can then be read and updated right where
> it sits.
>
> The advantage of direct access over importing is, of course, that importing
> implies copying, and therefore making the data out of sync with the original.

While it is true that importing implies copying, I don't believe that the
phrase "out of sync" is appropriate unless the file is also being used concur-
rently by dBASE III+ (for instance, over TOPS).  The advantages of importing
are:  availability of two-way relations and indexes, improved performance, and
the ability to add multivalued, graphic, and choices fields to the file.  In
short, while dBASE Mac can manipulate dBASE II and dBASE III files directly, it
is not the preferred method (just as direct manipulation of text files is not
the preferred method), but rather a possible alternative for certain fairly
well-defined situations.

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Glendale Development Center
dBASE Mac Development Team