[comp.sys.mac] Two problems with MS-Word

davidl@inteloc.intel.com (David Levine) (12/16/87)

I just got a hard disk (Cirrus HD31), and now I have room to use all the
large programs, oddball INITs, and weird DAs I've always wanted to.  Also,
the hard disk came with System 4.2/Finder 6.0 (still unavailable in stores,
at least around here), so I have an entirely new operating environment.
Naturally, I've encountered entirely new bugs.  Two of these have to do
with Microsoft Word.  I present them here not because I expect help, but as
a point of information (to help others track problems down quicker).
However, any workarounds or fixes would be appreciated.

1. I made Word the startup application on the system volume of my hard
disk (which is called "Sys/Apps").  When I booted the machine, Word started
up, presented a blank Untitled document, and then prompted me to insert the
disk "Sys/Apps"(!).  Nothing could recover from that point.  Command-period
didn't help, and pressing the Programmer's Switch gave me a mini-debugger
prompt in the menu bar (!!) and froze the cursor.  I had to boot from a floppy
and Set Startup to something else.  This behavior occurs only in Microsoft
Word; MenuClock 3.0 is the only INIT present.

2. The INIT "MFMenu", which makes a menu of the currently-running
applications drop down when you click between the MultiFinder mini-icon and
the right edge of the screen, causes an immediate and exceptionally severe
crash whenever you pull down any menu item in Word.  This behavior occurs
even when MultiFinder is NOT running, and (again) only in Microsoft Word.

I hate Microsoft Word, but I have to use it for compatibility's sake...

-- David D. Levine
   ...{decvax,ihnp4,hplabs}!tektronix!ogcvax!inteloa!inteloe!davidl

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (12/17/87)

In article <2635@omepd> davidl@inteloa.UUCP (David Levine) writes:

>2. The INIT "MFMenu", which makes a menu of the currently-running
>applications drop down when you click between the MultiFinder mini-icon and
>the right edge of the screen, causes an immediate and exceptionally severe
>crash whenever you pull down any menu item in Word.  This behavior occurs
>even when MultiFinder is NOT running, and (again) only in Microsoft Word.

Just a word of caution.  A friend of mine and myself tried the MFMenu INIT a
few weeks back and noticed that it caused a few system crashes which didn't
occur before we installed MFMenu.  Its been a while, so I forgot the
details, but we both concluded (independently of each other) the MFMenu was
the culprit after using it for a few days.

We both were on Mac II's, so it could be just a case of Mac II
incompatability.

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|ihnp4|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow    |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-607-253-6699,  USPS: 7122 N. Campus 7, Ithaca, NY 14853      |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (12/18/87)

In article <3204@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) writes:
>In article <2635@omepd> davidl@inteloa.UUCP (David Levine) writes:
>>2. The INIT "MFMenu", which makes a menu of the currently-running
>>applications drop down when you click between the MultiFinder mini-icon and
>>the right edge of the screen, causes an immediate and exceptionally severe
>>crash whenever you pull down any menu item in Word.  This behavior occurs
>>even when MultiFinder is NOT running, and (again) only in Microsoft Word.
>Just a word of caution.  A friend of mine and myself tried the MFMenu INIT a
>few weeks back and noticed that it caused a few system crashes which didn't
>occur before we installed MFMenu.  Its been a while, so I forgot the
>details, but we both concluded (independently of each other) the MFMenu was
>the culprit after using it for a few days.

I was having the same problems with MFMenu -- when I had revision 1.0.  Now
that it's changed to Rev. 1.1... no problems.

                            "Aman-Tut and Julius Caesar -- they both foresaw
                             their untimely deaths, thousands of years ago,
                             in this very oracle.
                             And so did Max Headroom."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

levin@bbn.COM (Joel B Levin) (12/19/87)

:
:I was having the same problems with MFMenu -- when I had revision 1.0.  Now
:that it's changed to Rev. 1.1... no problems.

If MFMenu does what I infer from these articles, if you are a Suitcase
user you don't need it at all!

With Suitcase, if you hold down Option before you select the Apple
menu, the desk accessories are left off, and the MultiFinder choices
are right at the top!

Aha, you say, but what if I want to use the Option key to bring a desk
accessory into an application heap rather than the DA Handler space?
Easy:  First mouse on the Apple to drop the menu, then push Option,
then drag down to select the DA.

	/JBL

{Disclaimer: a satisfied user (for 4 days) otherwise unconnected with
anyone or anything at Software Supply.}
--
UUCP: {harvard, husc6, etc.}!bbn!levin
ARPA: levin@bbn.com