[comp.sys.mac] DA LaserWriter Printing

swofford@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (12/12/87)

west@bnrmtv.UUCP(Andrew West) writes in comp.sys.mac

>Is anyone aware of a DA which will allow me to copy, paste and edit
>text (similar to MockWrite, RedWriter, etc.) but will allow me to
>print to a LaserWriter.  I primarily user RedWriter, but it will only
>print to the ImageWriter (when I try it with the LW, my LaserSpeed
>spooler tells me its spooling the file to the disk but I don't get any
>output).

	I have written a DA called SigmaEdit (uses the greek Sigma on the
Mac) which in addition to printing to ANY  connected printer (I had a letter
from one person who said that it is the first editing DA he found that prints
to his HP), also contains such features as:
	Unlimited File Size (memory restricted only)
	True Tabs
	AutoIndent
	Cut/copy/paste/ and UNDO!!
	Find/Replace/Replace All
	PowerKeys for moving around the document
	Enter ASCII
	File Information
	and much much more....
This is all available FREE in a <40K DA!! I am trying to have it posted to
comp.binaries, but have had trouble getting it to the moderator.  If anyone
would like me to mail them a copy, please send me mail and I'll respond with
the binhex.

		Leonard Rosenthol

+                                   |                                      +
+  Leonard Rosenthol                |  USnail:   205 E. Healey  #33        +
+  Halevai Software                 |            Champaign, Il  61820      +
+  GEnie: MACgician                 |                                      +
+  ARPA:  swofford@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu |  Bitnet:   3FLOSDQ@UIUCNOSA.BITNET   +
+                                   |                                      +
+ Disclaimer #1: Since I own the company, I can say whatever I want, and   +
+                not be responsible for it!                                +
+                                                                          +
+ Disclaimer #2: Anything I say may be construed as being under the        +
+                jurisdiction of Disclaimer #1                             +

dhac@ur-tut.UUCP (Darren Jay Hacker) (12/14/87)

[Yummies for the line-eater]

In article <46100034@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> swofford@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>	I have written a DA called SigmaEdit (uses the greek Sigma on the
>Mac) which in addition to printing to ANY  connected printer (I had a letter

[text deleted]

>This is all available FREE in a <40K DA!! I am trying to have it posted to
>comp.binaries, but have had trouble getting it to the moderator.  If anyone
>would like me to mail them a copy, please send me mail and I'll respond with
>the binhex.

Yes! I would be interested in getting a copy or seeing it posted!  Let's see
the flow of comp.binaries.mac increase!  (BTW, how does one post to SUMEX?)
Sorry that I had to post this, but the mailer at my site eats my outgoing
mail.

>		Leonard Rosenthol

		DJ Hacker

Darren Jay Hacker	  Internet: dhac@tut.cc.rochester.edu
"The fault, dear Brutus,      UUCP: dhac@ur-tut.UUCP		    \ / ,|.
 is not in our stars,	       (or) ...{ames,cmcl2,decvax,rutgers}   X ( | )
 but in our software		       !rochester!ur-tut!dhac	    / \ `|'

lonetto@phri.UUCP (Michael Lonetto) (12/16/87)

In article <46100034@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> swofford@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>west@bnrmtv.UUCP(Andrew West) writes in comp.sys.mac
>

>I have written a DA called SigmaEdit (uses the greek Sigma on the
>Mac) which in addition to printing to ANY  connected printer (I had a letter
>from one person who said that it is the first editing DA he found that prints
>to his HP), also contains such features as:
>Unlimited File Size (memory restricted only)
>True Tabs

 --lots of other features nice features mentioned..

>and much much more....
>This is all available FREE in a <40K DA!! I am trying to have it posted to
>comp.binaries, but have had trouble getting it to the moderator.  If anyone
>would like me to mail them a copy, please send me mail and I'll respond with
>the binhex.
>
>Leonard Rosenthol

I downloaded Sigmaedit from GEnie the other day, and while I was
impressed with the features, I was unimpressed with the way it crashed
whenever I chose "about sigmaedit" from the sigmaedit menu.  This was on
Mac+ running from Suitcase, with the new system/finder (4.2/6.0).  This
happened with and without multifinder running.

The system has been stable since setup.  The only other ways I've
crashed under Multifinder have been:  1)  open some DA's with no memory
(they try to put up a box but don't qute manage).  2)  Openning MacCalc
:-( .

Is something I don't know about wrong with my system, or is something
you don't know about wrong with sigmaedit under the new system (or under
Suitcase)?  If so I hope you fix it soon, as it does have wonderful
features for working with a Unix host via a terminal emulator (sure
beats Emacs).

--
Michael Lonetto    UUCP:(allegra!phri!lonetto)
Dept of Applied Genetics

kraut@ut-emx.UUCP (kraut) (12/20/87)

In article <693@ur-tut.UUCP>, dhac@ur-tut.UUCP (Darren Jay Hacker) writes:

> the flow of comp.binaries.mac increase!  (BTW, how does one post to SUMEX?)

actually, there is not much need to post to INFO-MAC directly, as the readers
of INFO-MAC have summaries available of the articles appearing here.  (you
may have noticed the announcements in INFO-MAC of DELPHI and USENET digests)

however, just for the curious, you can submit articles to any ARPA-bboard
or the group-moderators by sending Email to the group just as you would to
any individual on ARPA (the distinction between Email and Bboards on ARPA
is different from news and mail with uucp), in other words, to submit an
article to appear in INFO-MAC you send mail to (for example)

	INFO-MAC%SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU@harvard.uucp
or	.....!harvard!sumex-aim.stanford.edu!info-mac

you can replace "harvard" with the ARPA-gateway nearest you.

Also, any ARPA-gateway worth the name should have an alias which does
automatic mail-forwarding, so that sending mail to info-mac@harvard.uucp
should cause the mail to get forwarded to info-mac@sumex.stanford.edu,
but then again, that would, probably, be too easy ...

and a real user-friendly UUCP-site might make life easier for their users
by providing a site-alias "arpa-gateway" and "csnet-gateway" and ...
which would point to the nearest gateway (such that the individual users
would never have to worry or learn those magical names); then users could
send mail to:

	info-mac%sumex.stanford.edu@arpa-gateway.uucp

now the totally, user-friendly system-administrator would create an entry
in /usr/lib/aliases for info-mac (and other groups) with the proper magic
such that his local users could send mail directed to "info-mac" and never
have to wonder or learn how the mail actually gets there ....

another interesting (and little-known?) fact is that if you "follow-up"
to a moderated news-group, your article will often be converted into a
mail-message to the moderator of that group - but I am not very confident
that replying to an article in comp.sys.mac.digest would trigger such a
mail-msg to the moderator.  In the case of INFO-MAC (and several other
popular groups) the moderator often found himself unable to deal with
the additional load from non-ARPA readers and discouraged such msg-traffic.

BTW, I am also very dissatisfied with the msg-traffic in ~binaries.mac
and would like to suggest that we have more than one submitting moderator,
specially as I have seen major disruptions to groups when they relied
(depended?) on a single individual finding the time to do the work (remember,
it's time one has to find outside of working hours and duties imposed by
non-electronic beings :-)  I, for one, would be glad to help out with some
of the work.  In particular, I was thinking of offering to work together
with the people at SUMEX in making available new items announced in INFO-MAC
(and archived in the SUMEX and SIMTEL archives).  I used to do such forwarding
in an irregular fashion (before we renamed net.micro.mac and created a
moderated group for binaries ....) but suggested that this be automated
somehow so that things get submitted directly from Stanford when the files
get archived.  I still think that's the way of doing it with the least
wasted effort, but ....
--
werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu		(prefered address)
kraut@emx.cc.utexas.edu